Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Indie state planning organizations: orphaned APSO/AIP chapters, or something else?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Indie state planning organizations: orphaned APSO/AIP chapters, or something else?

From what I understand, APA state and regional chapters have a greater degree of autonomy compared to specialty divisions. Note that many of them have names that don't mention the APA; Ohio Planning Conference, Michigan Association of Planners, Georgia Planning Association, and so on.

However, there's some independent state planning organizations such as the Florida Planning and Zoning Organization, New Jersey Planning Officials, New York Planning Federation, Planners Association of Washington, and so on, which aren't associated with the APA. From what I gather, these are active but "orphan" state chapters of the long-defunct American Institute of Planners and American Society of Planning Officials. When the organizations merged to become the APA, most of the state chapters of each organization also merged. Several chose not to merge, though, so the result is these indie state planning organizations.

Is this actually the case, or is there another story behind these independent state planning professional organizations? With an APA state chapter that also serves the state, what role do the independent state planning organizations have?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Within the Northern New England Chapter of the APA, each state has an independent professional organization (NH Planners Assn, VT Planners Assn, ME Assn of Planners), since each state has different priorities and focuses that the multi-state chapter really can't address.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Several Years back MSPO and the American Planning Association of Michigan Merged. For a while they were called MAPA, a few years back the organization became simply MAP.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Many APA types can become a bit arrogant. I know, hard to believe; but it happens once in a while. There are many persons out there doing current planning functions without the approved degree or letters after their names. City Clerks, County Sanitarians, secretaries are zoning administrators. They want and need help, but often are less than welcome at APA get togethers. The independent state organizations embrace these people.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Arrogant planners? Shocking!

I never really understood the arrogancy thing. You would think that APA organizations would want to tout their own horns and provide as much information to others so that the best decision can be made. This is apparently not the case.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Oct 2013, 1:21 AM
  2. List of regional planning organizations
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Jan 2011, 5:53 PM
  3. I'm more indie than you!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 22 Oct 2010, 12:38 PM
  4. Music organizations and city planning?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 03 Oct 2008, 10:08 AM