Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: May 2008 AICP exam results?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Does it matter? A pass is a pass. It's like saying i got "credit" in a credit/no credit course, but my score was too low. Just enjoy the mere fact that you passed.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2008

fo sho

Quote Originally posted by PogueM101 View post
    Finally got the scores in the mail...what does the scaled score mean? Mine is passing, but frighteningly low....
    Maybe you should have studied more. POGUE!!!

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I talked to APA this morning. The results were not sent until last week (8/13 - 8/15) so they were a week later than reported by other responses. I also was told that it was "very highly unlikely" the pro-rated invoice would be wrong. Apparently, once they put your score in the system, it automatically generates an invoice. So, going by that response, I passed too!

Registered
    Oct 2007

Scaled Score

Quote Originally posted by PogueM101 View post
    Finally got the scores in the mail...what does the scaled score mean? Mine is passing, but frighteningly low....
    I have the same question. It would be a little scary if it was %. It would be nice at least to know what the passing threshold was.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Aaron Briggs View post
    I have the same question. It would be a little scary if it was %. It would be nice at least to know what the passing threshold was.

It looks like it might have more to do with standard deviations or implementation of some type of bell curve, if I had to guess. Whatever, I totally don't care as long as I passed. I would be curious to know what areas I might be weak on according to the test.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008

Passed, too! Woohoo!

Happy to say I passed as well! The scaled scores run from 25 to 75. A 55 is a passing score. There is no way to compute how many you answered correctly from the scaled score. Your version of the exam might have been very hard, in which case answering fewer questions correctly got you a passing score over someone who's test was "easier" who had to answer more correctly to pass.

There is a bulletin posted online for those preparing to take the exam, and in that bulletin (it's a 16 page pdf file), it gives the information about the scale and the cut score.

BTW, I noticed the "Pay My Invoice" thing once I logged in today. I got my score report in the mail yesterday so I already knew, but when I logged in, I saw that tab listed in the "My APA" box to the left. I suspect if anyone is waiting and they see that, they can bet they passed. Why else would you get a prorated invoice for dues?

Congratulations to all who have passed!

-Gatr

Failed

*Sigh* Sadly, I didn't pass. Got a 51 and the passing score is 55.
    I am giving it again in November - my third and FINAL attempt.
    Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone who passed is willing to part with their beloved AICP Exam Prep 1.0 Study Notes.
    Since I (like many of you) am not thrilled with the APA and the way they run things, and have wasted enough money on this whole thing so far, I am hoping to buy it cheap.

Congrats to all those who passed - hope I join your esteemed ranks this November!

Edited to add: Looks like I am the only one on this thread who failed so far!!!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Well, I didn't pass either so, I'll have to go for a 2nd try, but I'm not currently motivated to take it in November. I have a couple of days to decide if I'll try in Nov. or not.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Well I finally got the letter, and I passed!

My advice to those who didn't this time is to look into buying Michael Waiczis's AICP studying materials (mrw36@cvip.net). I really needed to focus on completing practice tests and I did all 7 provided on his CD, read all his study notes, and found it to be the most useful contributor to my passing grade. In fact I printed them out and spent hours logged in on the eliptical studying which was awesome because I got skinny and absorbed tons of useful material hahaa.

I think Planetizen is over-rated, and I couldn't get through the dry boring way in which material was presented in the green book. I also bought the study notes which was also definitely helpful, but wasn't very detailed. If I ran accross something in the book I wikipedia'd it, saved it for review and found that helpful as well. Good luck next time, don't get too down on yourself, just try to change your study habits a little.

Michael Waiczis

Quote Originally posted by juliaearth View post
    Well I finally got the letter, and I passed!

My advice to those who didn't this time is to look into buying Michael Waiczis's AICP studying materials (mrw36@cvip.net). I really needed to focus on completing practice tests and I did all 7 provided on his CD, read all his study notes, and found it to be the most useful contributor to my passing grade.
    Congrats! Will you be selling your CD, by any chance?

Registered
    Mar 2008
    "Congrats! Will you be selling your CD, by any chance?"

Hey thanks for the congrats, but it's copyrighted material, so I think you'll have to contact Mike directly. I definitely hear you on the cost of study materials and I'd love to help you, but I just got my AICP designation, I don't want to breach those ethics codes I spent hours studying!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Not sure why selling the CD would be a violation of ethics- its like selling a used music CD or book. If it were copied and sold, that would be different.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    Not sure why selling the CD would be a violation of ethics- its like selling a used music CD or book. If it were copied and sold, that would be different.
    Yep. Ever bought a used textbook at 1/2 the price of a new one? As long as you don't duplicate it and distribute, you're fine. Not that APA ethics would even bat an eye at something like this.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP exam 2008
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 118
    Last post: 27 Dec 2008, 9:00 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 May 2008, 3:05 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Jan 2008, 2:33 PM
  4. AICP Exam Results Delay