Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tide Jr. #1 or #1 & #2 on the way

Registered
    Oct 2005

Tide Jr. #1 or #1 & #2 on the way

Though it's not official the morning sickness and presence of two lines on the test confirm it... I will be a dad for the first time by Mid April 2009! I want a blue one my wife wants a pink one, we'll see. I wouldn't say we were actively trying to get pregnant but we weren't not trying either, if that makes sense. I thought it would take a few more months than we planned but heck, I just turned 30 this year and it's about time, considering she wants 4 m !!! I want 2, and I said we have 2 then reevaluate the situation. However, there is the high chance of twins since they run in both sides of the family.

So, now were talking which furniture stays, which gets sold, which car we replace and when and with what, what stroller, and what colors. Fortunately we already have the names, for the most part.

For the young parents out there what vehicles have worked well for 1 or 2 car seats?
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats I am thrilled for both of you
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Cool your jets

Not to throw ice on your fire, but...suggest that you wait. The first trimester is something of a crapshoot. (See the M'skis baby pool thread for an excellent example.)

Don't buy or sell anything for a while. Don't pick out twinstuff. (Think about having to deal with it if, um, life happens.)

Go ahead and be excited, make plans and schemes on paper, but don't be voting them into approval and spending the budget just yet.

HTH

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Congrats on the expected new member of the family!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Congratulations and best of luck!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Congrats and the best well wishes are being sent from the High Plains.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Congrats!!!

Papahood is pretty sweet.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Congratulations.

Veloise's advice about going slow is well founded. Be happy and start planning, but wait a bit before you do too much. Best wishes.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Congratulations.

Veloise's advice about going slow is well founded. Be happy and start planning, but wait a bit before you do too much. Best wishes.
    I'll echo the Debbie Downer comments. As far as selecting a vehicle, its going to depend a little bit on each of ya'll's physical abilities. You will definitely want a four-door vehicle to start with. I suggest you find a friend with a car seat that he/she will let you borrow, and take it with you for test drives to see how well it fits and how difficult it will be to get a kid in & out while it is installed. You should look for car seat anchors, as those make installing/removing the car seat easier. You want an interior that is easy to clean, if possible. Also, gas mileage will take on additional importance as you will be expected to make frequent visits to relatives to show off Tide 2.0 and will later need to take kids to activities (I assume you are in an auto-dependent lifestyle location).

I have two friends with kids under 2. One drives a brand new Mazda5, which is like a european-style minivan that gets around 27mpg highway. The other drives a Honda Element. I think both are excellent. The Element is especially nice because you can hose down the interior (great for messy kids). Of course, you can get by with any four door car without any trouble. My parents hauled three boys around in a Buick sedan in the early 80s with no trouble at all.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Congratulations and welcome to the club...I hope everything goes as well for Mrs. Tide as it has for my wife.

Mrs. 'toon and I are expecting our first in November....just like you all we did was "pulled the goalie."
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    For the young parents out there what vehicles have worked well for 1 or 2 car seats?
    In my budget concious opinion, even my little Pontiac Sunfire fit -tightly- THREE car seats. I believe that any car can handle two... except for maybe two-seaters, like smart cars.

Congrats!!! Kids are a blast!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Congrats !

Remember you can count on Cyburbia to suggest names.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congrats to you and Mrs. Tide.

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    ....just like you all we did was "pulled the goalie."
    I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Congrats. Papahood is indeed a sweet gig. Take it slow and don't make any big decisions or purchases. Babies take their own sweet time and when they are tiny, don't take much room. Our Accord has served us well from infancy to seven-year-old Tasmanian Devil.

When I was a baby, my parents had an MG A, and I rode on a board between the seats. That was before car seats and safety belts.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The family car when I was growing up was a 1978 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door. It all comes down to how much stuff Junior really needs to have on a trip out.

Once again, best of luck and congratulations.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Congrats!

If you'd rather buy more slimline car seats than a car to fit said seats, look into Sunshine Kids Radian 80. They're heavier than others but very slim and work from 5lbs up to 80lbs and do both rear and forward facing so you don't have to buy a different seat at 6 months when the infant seat is outgrown.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post

When I was a baby, my parents had an MG A, and I rode on a board between the seats. That was before car seats and safety belts.
    Off-topic:

Holy crap! I drove a '57 MGA in high school that my dad & I had restored!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quick update. Only one Tide Jr. in there. Baby is doing great, mom is at 20 - 21 weeks now but very sick. She gets severe morning (read: all day) sickness and now back pain. We moved on the car situation. Traded in an older car for a 2008 Xterra. They were practically giving them away over the summer when gas hit $4.00, they doubled the manufacturer's cash back so it ended up costing us about $1,500.00 after taxes. Here is a picture of the kid (linked from my wifes website so no hot linking right?) We decided on the name too. Jackson Edward. Enjoy.

Last edited by Tide; 22 Nov 2008 at 12:07 AM.

A belated congrats from south mississippi
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congratulations!

Has your wife tried eating candied ginger to calm her stomach? It worked for me, and I still use it if my stomach bothers me. You can buy it at the grocery's Asian food section.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Congratulations to the Tide family!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2006
    As a father or a two week old all I can say is its a great experience...get in all the dining out and sleep that you can!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    CONGRATS Tide. It a great thing to be a dad.

How did I miss this thread the first time around?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2006
    A big Congrats!! Love the name Jackson, BTW. Let that mommy rest up, and don't forget to pitch in every chance you get once Jackson arrives.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 22 Aug 2013, 6:35 PM
  2. Happy Birthday Tide
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 21 Feb 2013, 10:46 PM
  3. Tide is in Teh Clubbe
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 10:43 AM