Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban Missouri east - Saint Louis - broadband required

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Urban Missouri east - Saint Louis - broadband required

***I posted this at the same time as my Kansas City thread a few days ago but it disappeared, so here we go again...***

Here's my set of photos I took from my road trip in July '08 to St. Louis. I'm always photographing Kansas City to death, so it's fun to take everything I've picked up on at home as far as cityscape photography is concerned, and then apply it all at once to a fast-paced visit to another city. So I drove from KC to STL on a Thursday, and had three blisters on my feet by Saturday afternoon. It was still a good time though. However it was so hot that I was sweating profusely. I met up with my friend Matt who lives in Tower Grove, and we toured some of the seldom photographed places in St. Louis City - in addition to my photos of the more well-known areas that I took on my own.

Here we start off with a few shots from downtown Saint Louis...

Fully 1/3rd of my time spent in St. Louis was comprised of driving around lost. I came across this just south of downtown and thought it warranted stopping for a photo...

I made way over the river on the Eads Bridge...

A quick look at Laclede's Landing...

On Saturday the 12th my friend Matt and I met up for photos - and we stopped at the Soulard Market first...

North St. Louis...

More nabes...

I hear these date back to around the Civil War...

The Carondelet area - with a bit of Photoshop-imposed Neutral Density...

Cherokee...

An agglomeration of antique stores on Cherokee, south of the previous two shots...

and we stopped for some libations...

Beginning Saturday evening in the Central West End area...

Wishing they'd replace the burnt out bulbs...

That's a limousine...

Back to downtown on Saturday night during a concert, before a fireworks show...

I spent some time along Washington Avenue...

These are some great streetwalls...

I got up at 4 AM Sunday morning so I could get to the Lafayette Square area by sunrise. I spent the early to mid morning photographing as much as I could before packing up for the cross-Missouri drive home to Kansas City.

And, Lafayette Square - composed of a whole lot of Second Empire Victorian architecture, of which there are a few photos of here...

At the helm, with an aperture of f/1.8 ...

More Lafayette Square scenes...

We're getting into the area of St. Louis University... kind of like a mini college town inside of, and surrounded by St. Louis, but also integrated with...

And, it's Dogtown...

Goodbye STL, until we meet again...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Wow. Your a very good photographer. Enjoyable viewing.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Very nice work.

You managed to capture my office, and one of my friends house.

I will have to make a trip down to Venice café soon.

Next time your in StL. Check Macklin Ave. a residential neighborhood where the old corner storefronts have been reanimated into nice neighborhood support retail. Working as it should.

You might also want to check out the “Grove” in Forest Park Southeast, lot a rehab, the new night spot the kids tell me.

Also Morganford, just south of Tower Grove park has some nice things happening in it.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Kansas City vs Saint Louis
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 68
    Last post: 27 Aug 2013, 11:55 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Aug 2008, 9:54 PM
  3. Saint Louis questions...
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 May 2005, 7:28 PM