Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tomorrow is 08-08-08

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Tomorrow is 08-08-08

Does anyone have an 8:00 appointment scheduled? Is anything important about this date? I got a feeling this thread is dead before I click the submit button.

Me? Since it's Friday, I'll probably blow outta here early.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Does anyone have an 8:00 appointment scheduled?
    Don't you mean 8:08 am ?
    Because at 8:08 pm many people will be watching the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I am attending a wedding tomorrow. Bride thinks the 08-08-08 date is good luck. The wedding is at 3:00 PM though, so there's no 08:08 AM or 08:08 PM mojo associated with it.

I fear everyone will expect my girlfriend and I to schedule a 09-09-09 wedding, to keep the theme going. I'm not into that kind of stuff though.

So after December 12, 2012, what other interesting dates are there. January 23, 2045 (1/23/45?). I remember someone trying to pay attention to 1:23:45 PM on June 7, 1989. Don't think anything interesting happened.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    So after December 12, 2012, what other interesting dates are there.
    According to some... there won't be any dates after 12/12/12...

Damn... here come those black helicopters again...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Tomorrow I'm gonna party like its 666!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    I am attending a wedding tomorrow. ... The wedding is at 3:00 PM ...
    Me too.

I wonder just how many more weddings there are on 08/08/08 than a typical summer day of weddings!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Attending an evening wedding for my wife's aunt.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Tomorrow I'm gonna party like its 666!
    Wonder what they are doing in Hell? (A real burg north of Ann Arbor)

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Normal day, with a garage sale in the evening
    For people "playing local lotteries" maybe this is a "opportunity"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007

08-08-08 is Stockholm Sweden's day!

Stockholm (the Swedish one) has telephone area code 08. So 08-08-08 is thought of locally as Stockholm Day.

Next week is the Annual Water Conference (used to be "Festival" until they found too many negative environmental impacts connected with the fun and games, dirtying the water that the city is so famous for, and proud of).

With that in mind, a couple thousand young people have planned to a squirt gun war in the Old Town to celebrate 080808 (as Swedes write it). The weather is joining in with torrential rains promised. Here we fight "with" water, and in our conference the issue of increasing conflicts "over/about" water will be a common topic. Another irony in this story is that the two sides call themselves the "North Army" and the "South Army" representing the respective northern and southern parts and suburbs of the city. The southern side of Stockholm has a much higher predominance of third world immigrants and refugees.

So.. 08-08-08 will be an interesting day!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I gave birth to twins on 6/5/04 -- not that I need a fancy numerology to remember THAT day.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

A day that will live in infamy in Detroit

I am guessing that the mayor has decided to "spend more time with his family" and that this will be announced 08-08-08.

Hope so, anyways.

Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    I gave birth to twins on 6/5/04 -- not that I need a fancy numerology to remember THAT day.
    Though I'm not a twin, I was born on 8/7/60. My mom always remembered my b-day Mom's are the greatest.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Well its the 8/8/08 here at the moment- made it to work by 8am. Hopefully the day will be full of goodluck
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I just realized that the Olympic Games are starting on 08/08/08. That's something special, I would think.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm buying wine and Hot Pockets at Sam's Club tomorrow. Whoopee.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    The number 8 is very auspicious in China. Circles/rings have special meanings in many cultures. 8 is a double ring. Turn it sideways and you have the symbol for infinity. China chose to open the OS on 08-08-08 at 08:08 precisely because of its symbology.

Enjoy the day!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Monamogolo View post
    The number 8 is very auspicious in China. Circles/rings have special meanings in many cultures. 8 is a double ring. Turn it sideways and you have the symbol for infinity. China chose to open the OS on 08-08-08 at 08:08 precisely because of its symbology.

Enjoy the day!
    The thing I find curious is that they chose the "8" because of its symbolic significance to Chinese culture....but don't the Chinese have a different calendar? 2008 should bear NO cultural significance to the 1.4 billion non-Christians there. And someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it still the seventh month of their lunar calendar right now?

Yeah yeah, I know most Chinese rely on the Gregorian calendar for day to day business purposes but I'm just saying....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    Your point is valid, Maister, but globally the Gregorian calendar rules ... and the Olympics is an international event.

There are a large number of traditional calendars used locally around the world. Even the lunar calendar is not the same (surprise!) from one place to another.
    But these different local calendars can make international work quite fun. Work in Thailand for 365 days and you'll celebrate 3 New Years! In countries using the lunar calendar, depending on WHICH 365 days you live and work there, you might even get TWO new year's holidays on the same calendar! Ethiopia has 13 months.

What's also fun due to calendars is virtual time travel. I work in both Egypt and Thailand, so I travel from the 1400s (in Egypt) to 2008 (in Europe) and then on to 2550 in Thailand.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I read in the paper this morning that 8 is a lucky number in China, that is why the Olympics are starting at 8:08 on 8/8/08.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Don't Forget the Eight Deadly Sins.....

Gluttony
    Fornication
    Avarice
    Dejection
    Anger
    Weariness
    Vainglory
    Pride

(check, check, check, check, check, check, check, check...)

Did anyone see this "special" on 8 in the NY Times?
    http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...ott_index.html

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Vacation Starts Tomorrow!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Oct 2011, 9:38 PM
  2. Interview is tomorrow
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Sep 2006, 1:34 AM
  3. We draft tomorrow! 8:00 EST