+ Reply to thread

Thread: NPR story on Detroit's image in movies

Registered
    Jun 2003

NPR story on Detroit's image in movies

Heard this morning -
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103415990

Interesting portrayal.

I wonder if there are any other city image stories out there like this ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Four Brothers was another tough Detroit movie. I don't recall ever seeing something positive about Detroit in a movie.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    Four Brothers was another tough Detroit movie. I don't recall ever seeing something positive about Detroit in a movie.
    And thats the way we like it! We don't want no out of town yuppies moving in here and then we can't enoy our museums waterfornt parks, marinas, or farmer's markets!

Actually Reniasance Man (Danny DiVito) was filmed in Detroit and a very positive movie. His other move, Hoffa, well its a positive movie if you're a conspirancy theorist or teamster. Lots of television shows used Detroit as a back ground, with not all of them being bad. One negative one was Mean Streets, but it also had very uplifting messages about being poor and fighting the system (I was sad to see this one last only about four episodes). Other TV shows that took place here were 'Full House', 'Martin' and both were not negative shows. There were also a handful of other shows including one where Dan Akroyd played a Anglican Priest, on with Tim Reid and twins daughters, and another was Jack Ritter's final show.

Collision Course (Jay Leno and Pat Morita) was not real negative, but they were fighting gangsters and it has come real corny scenes including one fight scene at the Garden Bowl. Only person I know of fighting there is Jack White.

I've not seen Four Brothers fully, but it does not look like Detroit, though it may have been set here. Too many row houses. 8 Mile is the quinessential Detroit movie, yeah it takes a bit of liberties, but any movie that shows both the good and bad is pretty true to life around here.

Transformers and The Island were filmed right outside my building. I can recall those being a real pain. 8 Mile was filmed by my building too and I can recall them making the area looking much dirtier than it orginally is (the St. Andrew's/Shelter scenes were not really filmed at the Shelter). Look for lots of other movies coming out following the successful Torino that was filmed in and about Detroit. MPS was the original location of Torino because that is where the plant that produced the car was located. It now builds Ford Rangers. Interestingly enough both cities are considered point of entries for Hmongs.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; 24 Apr 2009 at 12:05 PM.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    8 Mile is the quinessential Detroit movie, yeah it takes a bit of liberties, but any movie that shows both the good and bad is pretty true to life around here.
    I've wanted to see it as a hard-knocks Detroit movie but I just can't stand Eminem or his music. Maybe I'll watch it with the volume down.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Other TV shows that took place here were 'Full House'...
    I thought 'Full House' was set in San Francisco. I think you might mean 'Home Improvement'.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I thought 'Full House' was set in San Francisco. I think you might mean 'Home Improvement'.
    Yes, 'Full House' was definitely in SF. I get tourists asking me how to find the "Full House house" at least once a week. I know that natski got a look at it when she was here There was a change awhile back to limit the times that tourist buses could drive in front of the house (the line of houses are famous from 'Full House', but the street also fronts Alamo Square park, which offers some great views of nicely restored Victorians with a backdrop of downtown and is a typical spot for any tourist to visit). The neighborhood is not quite the family-friendly neighborhood depicted on the show, however, as it gets pretty sketchy directly to the north.

Is the area shown in Gran Torino really as the movie shows? Those demographics, for example? I don't tend to think of a huge Hmong population when I think of Detroit (but I'm generally pretty clueless about Detroit).
    Last edited by CJC; 24 Apr 2009 at 1:35 PM. Reason: Added a line
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    I get tourists asking me how to find the "Full House house" at least once a week. I know that natski got a look at it when she was here There was a change awhile back to limit the times that tourist buses could drive in front of the house (the line of houses are famous from 'Full House', but the street also fronts Alamo Square park, which offers some great views of nicely restored Victorians with a backdrop of downtown and is a typical spot for any tourist to visit).
    In my US travels, which have included SF many times (my uncle lives in San Jose), it seems that there are more tourists in San Francisco than anywhere else in the US, at least on a per-capita basis.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Shows you how much attention I pay to Television! Can you tell I never understood why people actually pay for cable?

Torino was filmed in an enclave of Detroit known as Highland Park, which is in North Central Detroit. The Hmong Community mostly reides on the East Side and has branched into Communities such as Warren, Hazel Park and Madison Heights. This is the area where Eminem lives in the Movie 8 Mile.

I don't think there is a huge Hmong population anywhere, but there are parts of Detroit where a large portion of the student body is from this small asian community.

"Many Hmong fled from Laos to the United States during the Vietnam War and the Laotian conflict. In the United States, Hmong are among the least affluent Asian immigrant groups. Detroit is home to one of the largest concentrations of Hmong in the United States."
    http://www.michigandaily.com/content...-hmong-detroit
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Mar 2012, 8:04 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 01 Feb 2008, 7:47 PM
  3. Detroit's Campus Martius
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 23 Jan 2007, 2:01 PM
  4. Replies: 72
    Last post: 10 Jul 2003, 10:26 AM