Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planners: help name a consulting group website

Registered
    Aug 2008

Planners: help name a consulting group website

Hi everyone. I am doing some marketing research for a group of city planners thinking about starting a consulting group. The group's proposed name is taken as a .com domain name, so they are thinking of adding the word plans or planning to the end. I suggested asking people in the business, so they advised me that Cyburbia forums was a good site to find a collection of planners.

So as not to identify the group, I'm going to insert "proposedname" for the company name in the domain.

What do you think? Which seems like the better fit?

www. proposednameplanning .com
    www. proposednameplans .com

If you have other suggestions, I would welcome those. Thank you in advance for your input.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    To be honest with you, it is odd to ask for guidance on a topic and then refuse to give us the whole story.

"Planning" sounds better than "Plans" but it also does depend on what the first word or words are. No one here is going to "steal" that domain name because you have proof who thought of it first - it's all here on Cyburbia.org if you need proof!

Registered
    Aug 2008
    paiste, thank you for replying. I apologize, but I was simply asked to not to reveal the name. Just following orders!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about www . proposednameplanninggroup . com?

I like group.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I would agree that it is very difficult to pick a preferred suffix without knowing the first part of the name. To my mind a name using the last names of the group member(s) would sound better with "planning" than "plans"(e.g. deweyscruememandhoweplanning sounds better to me than deweyscruemandhoweplans.com) while a action names might sound better with "plans" (e.g. coolplans v. coolplanning).

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Seems to me you have some other possibilities here.

One of my former employers acquired a ".org" domain instead. Another alternative is to add on the location, like "JimJonesPlanning-Topeka.com." I've seen that format used by companies with common names.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    These are great replies. Thank you all. I believe they are looking for a .com domain.

It sounds like planning is preferred. I believe I can give a better example.

www.smithgroupplanning.com
    or
    www.smithgroupplans.com

Moderator note:
    (Dan) Sorry your message didn't appear right away! It's a spam prevention feature; posts by new users that include a domain name, real or imaginary, are sent to a moderation queue.

I call dibs on "proposednameplanning.org"!

I agree with the previous posters... hard to offer an opinion with so little information. If not the specific words, then maybe the types of words like nouns, proper names, adjectives.

I'd say use the principals last names, gives the feeling of a professional services firm. Just my $.02

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    You should also run it past the criteria contained here:
    http://domainrookie.com/hilarious-do...ispronouncings

Just sayin'.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like "planning" better, but think the question may be whether to pick another name altogether. Is there going to be any confusion between the companies, are they in the same market area, or are they offering similar services?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Thank you all for your responses. I believe my clients have made their decision.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Aug 2012, 9:26 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Sep 2009, 5:53 AM
  3. Replies: 47
    Last post: 06 Dec 2008, 4:10 PM
  4. Name of your consulting group
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Jun 2006, 10:09 PM