Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduate schools?

Registered
    Aug 2008

Graduate schools?

Hi All

I'm new, so sorry if someone's already posted something like this before.

I'm starting to look at Graduate School and I would really like to get a Master's in Urban Planning. The thing is, I'm looking for a school that has a really specific specialization or program within the Transportation Planning realm: Public Transit.

Anyone have any ideas? Or any other thoughts about how best to prepare for a possible career as a Planner in a Public Transit agency?

Thanks!

Moderator note:
    (Gedunker) Thread moved from Transportation Planning subforum. All education threads are located in the Student Lounge subforum. Thanks!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 12 Aug 2008 at 9:19 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I'm very new here as well, but I have found alot of information on what schools to go to from http://www.acsp.org/default.htm and http://www.planningaccreditationboard.org/. They both have alot of information on how to become educated in planning.
    Hope that helps! =D

-Andrew

Registered
    Jul 2007

transportation planning

Some graduate schools have listed or well known reputations for certain specializations related to planning. You can find them on those web sites or try out planetizen's rankings. I have two suggestions for finding a school.

1-look what schools are doing the research you are interested in, for example if you pick up one of planning academic journals take note of the schools of the authors.

2-graduate school gives you the opportunity to do more individual study than undergrad. If you go to a school that has at least one professor that specializes in transportation or public transit, chances are you can study under them or at least have them advise you for a studio or thesis project in the specific area you want to study.

Best of Luck!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GPA at graduate schools
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Oct 2008, 5:02 PM
  2. Advice on graduate schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Mar 2008, 10:32 AM