Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Community development managers/directors discussion thread

Registered
    Aug 2005

Community development managers/directors discussion thread

Just curious. I have a few questions, but would like to commiserate with some of my peers if there are any reading this forum.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Do you count those that only do economic development as a peer?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 1998
    And your questions are?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    That's the purpose of this Sub-Forum, so fire away! My job duties include administration of the City's CDBG entitlement funds and other related/similar grant programs.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I'll bite --

Do you all have a community development corporation? How does it operate? I am thinking that our area is leaving money on the table by not having a CDC to apply for some state financing but I have never dealt with one so I am not sure what I'm getting into.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In my experience, most places have some entitiy that acts in a community development/economic development role. This may be a department of the local government, an authority enabled by state statutes, a chamber of commerce or other business association, a 501c3 non-profit or foundation, or perhaps a regional entitiy. The question is whether these entitities are active or have professional staff to support thier activities.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Cardinal - understood, I was just curious about whether a CDC is a formal designation for a particular type of organization structured in a way that it can receive particular types of funding. I have seen, for instance, community development initiatives (CDI) that will only loan to not-for-profit and public-private joint ventures but (apparently) not to counties.

Since I work for a county on affordable housing issues I'm debating whether I should partner with nonprofit organizations in the area to start an entity that could receive funding from foundations and these CDI's that don't loan to counties. Problem is, I've never done this and don't know whether a CDC is an altogether different animal than a traditional 501c3.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hey, I started this thread but for some reason the email notification didn't notify me of the new messages... anyway.

I'm the CD Director of a mid-sized (60k) city in MA. I'm looking for peers who do the same - that is, manage a department of people who oversee the CD regs for the city. If you're out there, write back! I'm especially interested in a NRSA and other HUD-designated things like CBDOs.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by orangina View post
    Cardinal - understood, I was just curious about whether a CDC is a formal designation for a particular type of organization structured in a way that it can receive particular types of funding. I have seen, for instance, community development initiatives (CDI) that will only loan to not-for-profit and public-private joint ventures but (apparently) not to counties.

Since I work for a county on affordable housing issues I'm debating whether I should partner with nonprofit organizations in the area to start an entity that could receive funding from foundations and these CDI's that don't loan to counties. Problem is, I've never done this and don't know whether a CDC is an altogether different animal than a traditional 501c3.
    I worked for a CDC in the past and the organization was indeed a 501c(3). The organization was not in any way affiliated with the city, though we did apply for and often receive city CDBG and HOME funds.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    I manage my communities housing programs which include CDBG and our state housing funds. I would love to have an opportunity to bounce issues off of other administrators. Right now my only sounding board is my HUD rep and you know the kind of response you get from them...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    hey, vdub, shoot away! I'm in the middle of writing the CAPER now - and you know how much fun that is!

after that, I'm going to tackle the NRSA

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Happy to provide you with any advice I can. I've drafted a successful NRSA in Mass., and also worked on CAPER's, etc. PM me for more specific advice.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    I am the Development Department in my community...Building Inspector, Code Enforcement, Zoning Mgr, Planner, Econ Development, all in one. Everyday is something new...I'd be interested in grant opportunities but also grant writing workshops because that is a talent I want to develop.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Sep 2013, 9:26 AM
  2. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 10:37 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Mar 2010, 11:10 PM
  4. Community planning vs community development
    Economic and Community Development