Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Suggestions for transportation planning using GIS and real time monitoring system

BANNED
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Suggestions for transportation planning using GIS and real time monitoring system

Hello All,

Just keen to know, how can we efficiently use GIS and Real Time Monitoring System in Transportation Planning and Mangement.

Suggestion are all welcomed.......

Thanks

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Real time monitoring is great for incident management. Most incidents are rather random in nature, I really don't know how GIS could be an effective tool for this. I could see using the data to find out where crashes or congestion occurs fequently, abd you can apply planning to that, but how would you plan for a tanker truck dumping a load of maple syrup onto a freeway and closing it down?

I would suppose you could however use it to help direct traffic to alternative routes to avoid the incident. You could suggest the least congested routes to send the traffic to. You would however need a fair amount of time to run some models, and the incident may be over by the time you get alernative routes selected.

Regular occuring incidents, such as football matches can be planned for, but these have been going on for ages and most public safety and transit departments know how to handle them already. Perhaps GIS could be used to better employ transit or police to direct traffic and pedestrians?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Real time monitoring with tag readers could do O-D surveys over a long period andkeep the info current. It would take a heap of sensors, but with the camera systems going in a most major intersections, perhaps just adding a tag reader would not be too big a cost. The data fed to most transportation models is generally crap that is often very old and often the trip length curves used in a model are "borrowed" from some other area that is more or less like the one under study.. A typical O-D survey is very costly, but we are making decisions on models based on poor information.

I'd like to see the vehicle detectors installed in signalized intersections, used as turning movement counters. This would permit up to date turning movements to be collected w/o much manhour input and allow better fine tuning of signal systems and also provide data for transportation studies.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richi View post
    I'd like to see the vehicle detectors installed in signalized intersections, used as turning movement counters.
    We have quite a few of these, particularly in congested areas. When they work they are great. When they don't..........
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I haven't been in transportation planning for about 10 years. Is it much of a deal to rig an intersection to do counts and how much of the time is the counting function down?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Richi View post
    I haven't been in transportation planning for about 10 years. Is it much of a deal to rig an intersection to do counts and how much of the time is the counting function down?
    I don't know if I am understanding the premise of your question. However, I think I get the gist of it so I will try to answer it. In my area we have many intersections that have cameras that count the cars. This data is fed into computers that adjust signals automatically. We also operate transportation monitoring stations where we combine police dispatch with transportation engineers. These places can over ride the cameras should there be a sign that there is way too much delay. This way the proper amount of first response personnel can be deployed to a spot of an incident.

Here are a couple of the more sophisticated systems in our region:
    MDOT's public Site: http://mdotwas1.mdot.state.mi.us/public/drive/rtt.cfm#1
    MDOT's MITS Center: http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...9729--,00.html

Oakland County: http://www.rcocweb.org/Commuter/fasttrac.asp

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jul 2011, 8:29 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Jul 2006, 4:33 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Mar 2006, 10:27 PM
  4. Transportation Impact Monitoring
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 May 2003, 4:58 PM