Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: I'm 85 years old, and I don't believe in ...

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Air condition

6 16.67%
  • Roll and rocking, or whatever that noise is called

7 19.44%
  • Power windows

3 8.33%
  • Latex paint

3 8.33%
  • Those walkie-talkie phones everybody carries with them

14 38.89%
  • Fuel injection

1 2.78%
  • The interwebs or i-mail or whatever it's called

8 22.22%
  • The notion that the Japanese aren't up to something sneaky

15 41.67%
  • Unibody auto chassis

3 8.33%
  • That fancy coffee all the young people drink

13 36.11%
  • Not using a dash in words like "to-day" and "to-morrow"

2 5.56%
  • Something else

9 25.00%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "I'm 85 years old, and I don't believe in ..."

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

"I'm 85 years old, and I don't believe in ..."

Fill in the blank to your heart's desire.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    ....pinkocommiefeelgoodgettingintouchwithyourinnerchildmalebondinghippydippynewage crap
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm 85 years old and don't believe in air conditioning. I'll pull through this heat wave just fine.

EDIT: Love the "unibody chassis" poll option. As an addition: I'm 85 years old and don't believe cars last beyond 50,000 miles (dagnabit, my '62 Caprice rusted out by '67, yaknow)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I don't belive that man walked on the moon, it was all some TV set to make the Reds think we were ahead.

This was a quite from my great grandfather
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Ala my grandpa:

...having someone else shovel the snow... This was stated after his second heart attack...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    "I'm 85 years old, and I don't believe in that lung cancer people get now. I think it's a scam for the big city doctors to make more money! I smoke five packs of filterless Viceroys a day, and used to smoke a carton a day back during the war! The one that we won, damnit! My doctor's one of the few honest ones, and he says I'm still strong as a bull!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    ....filteredcigarettesmokingmicrowaveusingcussin'comediansnon-kashrutobservin'vegetarianatheisticforeigners
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    ...What's that you said? Don't relieve myself? Reminds me of the time that Old Zman & me were headed down to the creek for a little skinny dip and well, you know that's where the Maister place used to be. Damn wasn't that youngest one a hottie? Speaking of hot, I had a car when I was about your age that I used to drive all the way to Albuquerque or would have if I hadn't seen Bear Up North when I was half-way past Put-in-Bay. Now that's a guy that knew where to find a good fishin' hole or any other kind if you takes my meaning. Anyhow, I was damn near frozen when I headed south and made it all the way to the panhandle where I knew another guy but couldn't catch him at his office because he had RJ'd for the day. Seems like that was his name too but that can't be right, don't remember names and all like I used to...what was it you asked me?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    EDIT: Love the "unibody chassis" poll option. As an addition: I'm 85 years old and don't believe cars last beyond 50,000 miles (dagnabit, my '62 Caprice rusted out by '67, yaknow)
    "And despite that, I'm 85 years old, and I don't believe that new cars are worth squat! You can't work on them! Everything under the hood is all squeezed in there, and a friend of a friend said that you have to pull the engine to change the damn 'erl on the new models. The old cars, you could work on them, and they'd survive a crash! Why do you think they didn't need seatbelts then? By the way, I also don't believe in seat belts! I hear on the TV that people get into accidents and get trapped in their cars and burn up, because they have their seat belts on."

Registered
    Feb 1998
    A Japanese firm came to the city looking for industrial revenue bonding. One commissioner actually said in a meeting that the last time he dealt with the Japanese, he was shooting at them.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Tramp stamps and crack pants.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    oh-fus, ya'll ain't right in the head, are you?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Off-topic:
    Off-topic:
    It's not me, it's all y'all that's warped.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hrummppff

Dagnabit.....I ain't got no internets account.....or fancy cell phones, just put it in a letter and mail it!
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm 85 years old and I don't believe in:

the U.S. gov'mint, those sneaky bastards
    the FDA, c'mon, give us those drugs, don't keep telling us about testing on monkeys
    the press, good god, could you be more liberal or what?
    I drive real good, thank you very much, and I don't need the city cops shadowing my every move; and I'll thank my relatives to stay outta this...

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Those dang trains they keep putting in traffic. We put em underground, or up out of the way back in my day. Still a runnin', some are.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't believe in the press
    I don't believe in smoking weed and doing all those crazy drugs you kooks did back in the 60s
    I don't believe in power windows...just another thing that will break and need to get fixed
    I don't believe in coffee. Splashing water on my face is enough to get me going in the morning.
    I don't believe in those tax-and-spend liberal crooks in Chicago, Springfield, and Washington
    I don't believe in going to see an eye doctor. As long as I'm not blind, I think I'm in good shape.
    I don't believe in all these foreigners coming over here and not speaking English 100% of the time. My ancestors all had to learn it and they should too.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    ......what was it you asked me?
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Off-topic:
    I thought ofos write up was pretty funny.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Dont believe in any of the carnsarned things above and that man on the moon nonsense is just all made up

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Those walkie-talkie phones everybody carries with them. Why can't you just wait until you get home to call someone?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My father is in his 70's. He has wireless internet, a Razor cell-phone, and a Fusion with just about every concievable option. What freaked him out was when he found out his car was made in Mexico and had less US content than an Accord or a Camry. He also keeps his laptop hooked up to the power supply 24/7, which I find very odd as he may as well have bought a desktop.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cable TV of all things. Free TV just fine with me. Why should I have to pay for it. This is coming from someone who get pretty good reception and not a bad selection of free tv.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

... that birth control the girls all take these days. If you ask me, it made 'em all crazy for sex and they lost all the dignity we had when we were that age. Turned 'em all into sluts, I say.

Batter up!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ... that autism stuff, what kids don't get enough of these days is a good old fashion whipping when they act up. That's right any back talk or sassing and my Pa would send me out to cut a switch off that yonder hickory tree and he would be beat me and I thanked him for it too!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm 85 years old, and I don't believe in....any explanations of complex economic, social or geopolitical issues that don't rely on a single cause and effect. Ideally, those single causes should somehow relate to a conspiracy theory.

e.g. 'all wars get fought over religion' or 'the price of oil is going through the roof and it's all because of them greedy oil companies' or 'you can blame all them damn hippies and wimmens libbers for today's divorce rates; back in my day the man worked, the wife stayed home, and everyone was happy.'

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Oct 2003, 9:59 AM