Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Flags at Half Staff

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Flags at Half Staff

We are told that the Surge is working. Maybe it is.

Perhaps it is an anomaly of the last few months. But the flags seem to be at half staff almost constantly in front of our building, by proclamation of the Governor to honor one fallen Montanan after another. Just today flags were lowered to honor a fallen enlisted man from our state.

What about your states and communities? Does your governor honor the fallen with flags at half staff? In the more populous states is this an issue? Are the fallen honored or would the body count be too numerous to honor each and every one?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The flag here in Michigan, it's often, if not usually, at half mast the past few years. Lately it seems like it's almost every day. Each and every soldier, sailor, marine, and airman, however, deserves no less.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    same here Maister, in Maine

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Unfortunately I am sad to say don't believe I have seen this go on in my part of Va
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    Unfortunately I am sad to say don't believe I have seen this go on in my part of Va
    The topic was raised by certain GOP members of the state house last pres. election cycle where they wanted to stop the practice because it was supposedly demoralizing folks That went nowhere fast.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The topic was raised by certain GOP members of the state house last pres. election cycle where they wanted to stop the practice because it was supposedly demoralizing folks That went nowhere fast.
    I'm ashamed to say that I know (and am friends with) one of the instigators, a local historian and Civil War buff. He claims expertise on flag honors, usually playing the "we've always done it this way" card.

When we lose more than one person on one day, the flag honors are extended (no doubling up). Except in the case of the GR Ford tributes, when everything was at half-staff for a month.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    The flags are not lowered in Kansas.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I think the governor of IL issues proclomations for each fallen serviceman, as it seems the flag was always at half-staff at my university the past few years. But I also see plenty of municipalities and local schools that seem to not follow these proclomations. Maybe that's because my university is a state institution, whereas local government buildings are not?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I think the governor of IL issues proclamations for each fallen serviceman, as it seems the flag was always at half-staff at my university the past few years. But I also see plenty of municipalities and local schools that seem to not follow these proclamations. Maybe that's because my university is a state institution, whereas local government buildings are not?
    Flag honors are flag honors, whether the pole belongs to a private entity, a person, or any sort of quasi/public agency. Sometime in the fall about seven years ago I noticed that a donut place had gone full-staff, so I let them know things were still at half. They'd forgotten.

Cell tower flag poles might be exempt, as there's no one to service them (flags are up 24/7).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A few weeks back I was driving home from the summer chalet, and the flag at McDonslds was at 1/2 staff. Flippantly, I asked who died. It was a local boy in Iraq.

**dumb chet**

I didn't know they did such things.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    The amazing thing is that with two fronts we can still honor individual servicemembers. That certainly hasn't happened before. American isn't at war, the American military is at war. America is at the mall.

Flag honors have seemed to suffer from inflation in the past few years. A month for anyone is ridiculous. Perhaps a week at the most.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From the Indiana Protocol Manual for Flying of Flags At Half Staff:

The governor has complete discretion over when and where to lower to half-staff the flags of the United States and Indiana at all state facilities. However, when provided by gubernatorial proclamation, the flag, generally, may fly at half-staff for:

On the day of funeral or memorial services within the decedent’s county of residence for the any member of the military who dies while on active duty (not limited to those who are killed in combat).
    http://www.doe.in.gov/super/2007/10-...anual_flag.pdf

USA Today Article about this:
    Half-staff policies vary widely among states http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...nors14.art.htm
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    nevermind.
    Last edited by WSU MUP Student; 13 Aug 2008 at 11:04 AM.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well after I posted that flags are not lowered the Governor has ordered flags lowered for the next two days. Maybe they only do it for local Kansans. Certainly their have been alot of fallen troops from Fort Riley that they don't lower them for.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Flag honors are flag honors, whether the pole belongs to a private entity, a person, or any sort of quasi/public agency. Sometime in the fall about seven years ago I noticed that a donut place had gone full-staff, so I let them know things were still at half. They'd forgotten.

Cell tower flag poles might be exempt, as there's no one to service them (flags are up 24/7).
    Yeah, but this is Illinois, and nobody trusts the governor or what he has to say. Everybody just does their own thing. Besides, if you have a population over 25,000, you are a home-rule community and can do what you want. I've noticed many places have stopped flying the flag altoghether, maybe because it's too confusing to keep track?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    In central FL, I've only seen flags lowered for national (prez) or state (governor) figures, except for 9/11, when it was ordered by the governor.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Feb 2013, 3:58 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 27 Apr 2011, 10:32 AM
  3. State Flags, AIB Hilldweller
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 30 Oct 2008, 11:59 AM
  4. New avatar theme week - FLAGS
    Cyburbia Issues and Help