Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Applying for a job but my firm is going after an RFP in the same community

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Applying for a job but my firm is going after an RFP in the same community

I am interested in applying for a mid-level public sector position in a community not too far away. I think I am qualified for it. However, my boss received an RFP from that community for a project, which I am pretty sure they will go after (planning projects are few and far between here and I haven't had too much to do for most of the summer).

Should I still go after the job? I'm pretty sure my firm is going to slap some crap together for a proposal and it will wind up going to a firm with more experience (at the same time, I have been short-listed for a few second interviews for full time work). I want to get outta dodge with this position, and I don't want to have to limit myself to jobs where my firm doesn't have a presence.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    OK, I'm not sure I like this term, but are you "firewalled" from this particular proposal or from any work work your current firm might be doing (or has done) for this particular community? I see no problem if you don't work on the propsal and haven't done any work for you current employeer in that community.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    OK, I'm not sure I like this term, but are you "firewalled" from this particular proposal or from any work work your current firm might be doing (or has done) for this particular community? I see no problem if you don't work on the propsal and haven't done any work for you current employeer in that community.
    I have not done any work directly for the community. However, as the only planner in the firm, I am probably going to be on the team for the proposal.

In the past, I have applied for jobs in communities where my firm has done work (I wasn't involved in those projects). I mention at the bottom of the coverletter that confidentiality is requested.

I am really really REALLY tired of my job, but I want to leave on good terms with my employer (people speak so I can't afford to burn any bridges). I still would like to retain my boss as a reference and earn a letter of recommendation for grad school down the road. However, I don't know how favorably they would look if they lost out on the contract but I were hired as a full-time planner.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    There is no conflict-yet; only a potential conflict. Go for the job. During the interview preliminaries, discuss the situation with your possible new employer.Explain that you will not do anything to compromise your current firm. Your candor will be appreciated.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    There is no conflict-yet; only a potential conflict. Go for the job. During the interview preliminaries, discuss the situation with your possible new employer.Explain that you will not do anything to compromise your current firm. Your candor will be appreciated.
    I generally agree with this; however, I made the move from private to public at the beginning of the year and I now work for a firm that was representing a client on a conditional use application that I was the case planner for. Although you are not involved (yet) to the extent that I was, I came forward with my conflict as soon as I was aware of it and was assured that there were no issues at hand (from an attorney, who I found out later, gave me bad advice). My project was handed off to someone else to finish and I was completely removed from the remainder of the review. My former employer has a clause that former employees cannot work on projects within their jurisdiction for two years after leaving employment at the jurisdiction, so although my firm can continue to bid on projects, I cannot be on the project team. Regardless of that, I was slapped with an ethics complaint from a bitter resident and am dealing with that process now.

I say apply. If interviewed, disclose the conflict. MG is right that it will be appreciated, and that allows some discussion on potential solutions, should you be the preferred candidate for the position.

Good luck!
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the advice. The deadline for the job is at the end of this month, with the RFP deadline a week after that. Since my firm tends to send out bids up to the deadline, I think I should get out my job application sooner before any conflicts really come up.

Most of you have said to explain the situation during the interview. I don't know when they are planning on interviewing candidates. Hopefully, not the same day they are interviewing firms! Having said that, should I mention anything about the situation in the coverletter? I usually just write "confidentiality is requested" and leave it as that. I am putting my trust in the community that they don't accidentally blow my cover to my current employer (especially if they see two different resumes from me). I also thought about making an anonymous call to the community's HR department and explain the situation.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Don't give the HR folks anything that they don't require. This is not an HR issue. They would not understand anyway.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Ditto...
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 May 2013, 3:01 PM
  2. Using projects from one firm at another firm
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 May 2009, 6:19 PM
  3. What does an UP do at a RED Firm
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Mar 2009, 11:29 AM