Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Protect your portfolio

Registered
    Aug 2001

Protect your portfolio

One mistake I've made over the years, with a few exceptions, was to NOT keep a copy of a completed project. I've been in this profession 19 years; I've done alot.

Recently I was asked to provide work samples to a prospective employer. (Fair enough - I've asked the same of people I've interviewed).

I realized I had to do 2 things:

1) Rely on the internet, where possible, to download and either burn to CD or bind on pretty paper. Since we will be reviewing the work samples over lunch, I've spent the weekend re-creating documents I can find on line from client web sites.

NOTE: I was disgusted with one past employer: Documents that Prudence and I created had been re-badged under the credit of CURRENT staff. How unethical is that?

2) Purchasing hard copy as a public open record.

SO THE MORAL OF THE STORY:

Always Always Always keep a copy of your work!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    And do your Save As work regularly. Don't wait until that Friday at 2 pm when you find out that your password no longer works.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    And, being somewhat paranoid in this economic and political climate, I regularly backup EVERYTHING, including Outlook email, calendar, tasks, and journal, as well as every memo, document, plan, drawing, etc. You never know...

I can't think of too many things worse than walking into your office and finding a pink slip and a few empty boxes, and no more access to your computer...
    I'm not cute enough to have a tag line. :r:

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Always Always Always keep a copy of your work!
    Yes. I am a PITA when it comes to most things that I create because I generally only give them in PDF formats so they can't be easily edited by others after having someone poach something of mine. I keep copies of all work that I do and I've already got my quick exit plan worked out. Everything digital is burned to disc, paper copies of everything else have been made and exported, all my contacts saved, and I've tried to be be as nice and helpful to all the various consulting firms so I remain in their good graces.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Aug 2013, 10:15 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Apr 2008, 5:05 PM
  3. Portfolio
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jan 2007, 10:11 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 May 2006, 2:09 PM