Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Galveston TX Oct Conference

Galveston TX Oct Conference

Is anyone attending the Texas APA Annual in Galveston?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by johnelsden View post
    Is anyone attending the Texas APA Annual in Galveston?
    Probably, assuming my director doesn't dick with me. Since I'm the defacto assistant director, I'm worried he will try to force me to stay. He kind of owes me though and I'm part of my APA section's leadership, so I should be there.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Probably, assuming my director doesn't dick with me. Since I'm the defacto assistant director, I'm worried he will try to force me to stay. He kind of owes me though and I'm part of my APA section's leadership, so I should be there.
    Good maybe we can meet...........

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Post a link, willya? I was just told to use up vacation days. (Brother in Houston.)

TIA

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I've put my name in the hat for going. I need CM credits . . . specifically ethics.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Post a link, willya? I was just told to use up vacation days. (Brother in Houston.)

TIA
    Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.txplanning.org/conference.htm

Some other likely attendees based on recent Texas APA conferences:
    Globe
    TexanOkie
    bobcatplanner

Habanero
    Poncho
    joe iliff
    Salmissra

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'll be there, along with bobcatplanner and my boss.

Y'all let me know and we can meet.........maybe the Wednesday nite function.........we can all wear Cyburbia signs...........

Registered
    Jun 2003
    OK, I'm confirming that I'll be there.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We just got word that the city doesn't have the funding to send anybody this year. If we want to go, it's our nickel. The time will be coded as training, not vacation. Since they've had funding before, I think the fault is paying for 12 of our Planning Commissioners to go to Vegas.

Anyone know where next year's conference is going to be? I have 20 credits, so I can afford to skip this conference, but it does mean I will have to go next year.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    We just got word that the city doesn't have the funding to send anybody this year. If we want to go, it's our nickel. The time will be coded as training, not vacation. Since they've had funding before, I think the fault is paying for 12 of our Planning Commissioners to go to Vegas.

Anyone know where next year's conference is going to be? I have 20 credits, so I can afford to skip this conference, but it does mean I will have to go next year.
    They shouldn't have sent Commissioners to Vegas. Of course, one of our employees that was sent last year to Vegas racked up an incredible hotel/dining bill for reimbursement. He was still in his probation period (which was why I was incensed that he got to go to start with). He's incredibly fortunate that I wasn't his boss, because I probably would have declared a large portion of his reimbursement request ineligible (we're talking $50 surf & turf dinners).

Next year's Texas conference will be in El Paso, from what I've heard. It seems like it was there not that long ago, maybe 2004. Austin is about due again, if that's the case.

I don't think you'll ever see them have it in South Padre Island again. From what I was told, it was the worst registrant to session attendance ratio in the history of state conferences.

I'm surprised your employer hasn't considered getting some of the DVDs and ROMs from APA. Your staff is large enough and probably has enough AICPs to get its monies worth.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Next year's Texas conference will be in El Paso, from what I've heard. It seems like it was there not that long ago, maybe 2004. Austin is about due again, if that's the case.
    Think El Paso was in October of 2003, a joint conference with the New Mexico APA chapter. I don't remember having a particularly good conference experience there.

Don't think I'll be going to Galveston this year.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I won't be there, and honestly if it's in El Paso next year I'm not sure I'll be there either. It takes forever to drive and I know my department won't put up the cash to fly people.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

I'm a senior Geography/Planning major at Texas State University, and our Student Planning Organization is interested in making a small group trip there, as we had a few go together to the conference in Addison last year. Whether I go with them or by myself, I'll certainly be going, since some of the events and discussions sound pretty worthwhile. Plus, my hometown of Lake Jackson is only an hour away, so free room and board during that time haha.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Jan 2013, 4:16 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Apr 2010, 1:19 PM
  3. Galveston TX Annual APA Conference
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Sep 2009, 10:09 AM
  4. Best Conference
    Friday Afternoon Club