Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NYU Gallatin Interdisciplinary Liberal Arts B.A. (with a strong urban focus) and MUP Admissions

Registered
    Jul 2010

NYU Gallatin Interdisciplinary Liberal Arts B.A. (with a strong urban focus) and MUP Admissions

Hi,

I'm a rising senior at NYU's Gallatin School of Individualized Study, where my concentration involves the relationship of people with the built environment through history, and representations of urban form in film and literature. I'm wondering whether my interdisciplinary, liberal arts program makes me a strong or weak candidate for the MUP programs at MIT, Harvard, Columbia, Berkeley, and UCLA. My GPA is around a 3.75 right now, and will likely be a bit higher by the time I apply in January. I have taken a good amount of social science and urban design studies courses, which have helped me form my concentration. Some of my more relevant courses for MUP prep have been:

Shaping the Urban Environment
    Economics Principles I
    Cities, Communities, and Urban Life
    Cities in Global Context
    Urban Design and The Law
    Black Urban Studies
    Modern Architecture: 1914-Present

I would have taken practical courses in architecture/planning, but NYU has nothing to offer in those areas.While I am interested in looking at cities from the perspectives I've studied as an undergrad, I want to merge that with the more practical skills I would gain in an MUP program, and potentially enter a Ph.D program after an MUP program.

Do I have a decent shot at any of these schools?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I can't say much about those specific schools but a liberal arts program with strong links to geographic, economic, or political classes is a definite asset.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    You're fine.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Jul 2011, 6:51 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 01 Jan 2011, 11:55 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Jun 2010, 12:03 PM