Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Moving for Masters support thread.

Registered
    Jun 2007

Moving for Masters support thread.

Hello fellow planners to be,

As many of you know I will be attending UT Austin's program in Community and Regional Planning. (I think my forum avatar gives it away )

I have lived in Los Angeles for the past 6 years and am now finally making the move to Austin. While I am excited I am also nervous. The cost of living in Austin is higher than I thought it would be and I will be living on the east side... which I am told is the less desirable side of town. (although with a crime rate like Austin's its not all that bad.)

In any event I thought I would start a thread for people to share their problems, complaints, and overall jitters while transporting themselves, pets, kids, whatever to a new home.

Good luck to all and Hook'em!
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    BACKGROUND (for the posters here that do not venture to the FAC too much):
    Already a planner in No. Colorado. Working for 4 years since undergrad. Burned out on government work and regulatory enforcement. Need creative/artistic outlet.

Sure, I'll join up.

I haven't even applied yet, but I too am considering something similar to this. Those that know me best on this board know that I have toyed with the school idea for quite sometime, even had a failed attempt at joining up with UCD for a MURP. Well, without going into too much detail, I am mostly confident in my getting into this different school (for a MSLA this time...), but it is out of state.

Here are my concerns:
    -SELLING my current house (HUGE ONE!)
    -My wife finding a job in a new town
    -Moving my dogs into rental house, particularly with one dog's new fondness for jumping fences (we're talking 6ft, wood, privacy fences here too)
    -Moving away from family (have not lived past a 100 mile bubble of the Mile High City EVER!)
    -Obtaining residency in a new state
    -Obviously getting into school is crucial to all of this. It is getting to the point; however, that if school does not accept me, then I would probably look to move anyways and working at something else Driving truck, plowing snow, running the local hockey rink, psychotic drifter, etc.

So there. As the year progresses I will be for surely adding more to this thread.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Actually, East Austin being the "less desirable" part of town is pretty much in the past. The crime rate is still very low, overall. It depends on where in East Austin you are, but it has become the hot place to be. People are really flocking to those neighborhoods. Unfortunately it is a classic case of gentrification, but efforts are being made to preserve the historic character and keep existing residents there.
    Good luck!

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Zaphod -

I'm in the program at UT Austin right now, so if you have any program or austin specific questions, let me know! Like bobcatplanner said, East Austin is very up and coming and a lot of people in the program live over there.

Sara

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I am not really that concerned with where I am living. Its just one of those things that rattles around in your head. What I do know is that I am going from a 1bedroom crap hole in LA to a 3 bedroom house in Austin for the same money. I am very pleased about this.

Also, the fact that a hurricane (tropical storm) actually registered in my "stuff I have to concern myself with" meeter was also pretty funny.

Saramh - Thanks for the offer. I was at the open house thing so we may have met. I am sure I will have tons of questions but they can wait the few weeks till school starts, probably.

Oh, and one last thing. This frontage road business off I-35 is a huge pain in the ........
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2007
    I'll jump in on this I guess. I'm staying in California to attend the UC Irvine MURP program.

Although Irvine is a nice area rent is a bit pricey. Im looking at 1695-1830 to share a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate.

UC Irvine is also a bit slow with the whole financial aid package as of now. It's August and less than 2 months away from when classes start but I can't sign the lease on an apartment and even worse I won't even know if I can even attend classes until I get my cash flow settled! The Financial Aid office has told me not to worry but to me releasing funds this late seems a bit risky and odd. With the recession going on and stories of students finding it more difficult to land loans to attend school, one can't avoid worrying.

I'm also excited and nervous to enter a graduate level of study. I graduated with a degree in History by occasionally glancing at some notes and pulling a few all nighters once in a while. But in general I thought the major was fluff. I'm not sure what to expect and how demanding the coursework will be, but this time I'm actually here to learn and not just walk out with a degree. Hope it all works out!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by zaphod View post
    Hello fellow planners to be,

As many of you know I will be attending UT Austin's program in Community and Regional Planning. (I think my forum avatar gives it away )

I have lived in Los Angeles for the past 6 years and am now finally making the move to Austin. While I am excited I am also nervous. The cost of living in Austin is higher than I thought it would be and I will be living on the east side... which I am told is the less desirable side of town. (although with a crime rate like Austin's its not all that bad.)

In any event I thought I would start a thread for people to share their problems, complaints, and overall jitters while transporting themselves, pets, kids, whatever to a new home.

Good luck to all and Hook'em!
    I'm driving a beater van from a great city, Portland, to a less great "city", New Brunswick, a mere 3,000 miles away. Sometimes, you gotta eat the bar before the bar eats you, or something.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

apartment locating

I just got back from the Dallas area in search of some apartments, and didn't realize how much work is involved...

I did the whole apartment locators thing, but now finding services for utilities; electric, cable, and internet is another search all together. Plus i haven't even found a job yet so i would hate to settle down in an area that requires driving across all of Dallas for work

yah i've never heard of the eating the bar thing before?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by manzell View post
    Sometimes, you gotta eat the bar before the bar eats you, or something.
    The Dude abides...

Y'all seem a lot closer than I am so far. I haven't even considered looking for a place to live, although for the frist year (if the program works out) I will be living away from my wife and possibly looking for just a room to rent, a studio apt (with just the basics) or perhaps on-campus housing through my loans.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i moved from Minnesota to New Orleans for my Masters. i applied to, was accepted, and decided to attend UNO before even visiting the campus.

the most difficult part of moving to a different state for school was housing. we went down for a few days and attempted to find housing. it wasn't enough time and i did find a place where i put down a deposit. luckily i also contacted a friend who was living in NOLA and told her where i made the deposit and she said No, look at these places instead. luckily for me she found some good places and i ended up at one of her suggestions.

so i would definitely get in touch with some locals who can direct you to more or less desirable parts of town. i would also do some networking online. NOLA has a very active message board associated with their newspaper and the people on it are helpful - to the extent of which blocks are safe to live on, which aren't.

in hindsight, if you can afford the time and hotel, i would take an extended trip to your desired city to look for apartments. or else have a backup plan.

good luck with the move and with school!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Just unpacked the last box and I have no desire to ever move again. Someone should start a company that packs, moves, and unpacks everything for you for like... $7.50... Is that too much to ask??? I also now have to wait for the cable guy to get here. The office was nice enough to tell me he would be here between 8am and 7pm. How nice of them to narrow it down. /sigh

I moved from Chicago to Tallahassee. Fortunately, Tallahassee is where I received my undergrad which made the adjustment a lot easier. I still greatly miss the nightlife though.

The cost of living is nice though.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The unemployed planner support thread
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1121
    Last post: 16 Mar 2015, 9:01 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Apr 2007, 3:11 AM
  3. Child Support Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26