Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Specialization and statement of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

Specialization and statement of purpose

I'm getting ready to do my statement of purpose and I had a thought (two really):

1) If you have broad interests in multiple specialties (hist. pres., urban design, and transit dev. in my case) what's the wisest way to address that in a statement of purpose? Try to weave them into one coherent set of interests? Just mention each of them with a brief description of specifics within that interest?

2) Do grad schools admit students based on meeting any type of quota for each specialty they offer? Assuming a school had concentrations in both, would I be more likely to get in if I applied with an interest in hist. pres. rather than urban design? I'm assuming of course that there's more interest out there for urban design than hist. preservation?

I could honestly be happy studying any of these fields, so I'm wondering what the best way is to handle my interests in them from a grad program/admissions standpoint.

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mobiusstrip View post
    I'm getting ready to do my statement of purpose and I had a thought (two really):

1) If you have broad interests in multiple specialties (hist. pres., urban design, and transit dev. in my case) what's the wisest way to address that in a statement of purpose? Try to weave them into one coherent set of interests? Just mention each of them with a brief description of specifics within that interest?

2) Do grad schools admit students based on meeting any type of quota for each specialty they offer? Assuming a school had concentrations in both, would I be more likely to get in if I applied with an interest in hist. pres. rather than urban design? I'm assuming of course that there's more interest out there for urban design than hist. preservation?

I could honestly be happy studying any of these fields, so I'm wondering what the best way is to handle my interests in them from a grad program/admissions standpoint.

Thanks!
    Hello,
    I'd absolutely mention any interest you have in specializing up front. While I don't think schools have quotes per se, I do think they like to keep a mix of students in specialties that matches their capacity.

I don't think that one of the specialties is "better" than another from an admissions standpoint, but just stating your plan of specialization makes you a more attractive candidate.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Statement of Purpose
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Mar 2013, 2:41 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Feb 2013, 8:22 PM
  3. Statement of purpose help!
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Aug 2010, 5:22 PM