Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interesting article about bus rapid transit and says what alot of people won't.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

Interesting article about bus rapid transit and says what alot of people won't.

Regarding Bus Rapid transit:

"But will it draw hot chicks"?

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.startribune.com/local/sou...D3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Anecdotally, in Chicago bus transit is popular for weathy urbanites for the areas not served by the CTA rail (i.e. near the lake shore). On these buses, you'll find the "AYF" discussed there.
    Moderator note:
    I edited the thread title to be more specific. Please no teaser thread title in the professional forums.

thanks - mendelman
    Last edited by mendelman; 21 Aug 2008 at 12:44 PM.

Registered
    May 2005
    Hmmmm. Interesting story.

A few thoughts:
    Firstly, I think that actually BRT systems are already more "sexy" than regular buses, and as such, have had more success attracting populations that typically shun city bus systems. A true BRT system, modeled on the Curitiba system, works much more like a train than other buses. Riders typically pay in advance of the bus's arrival and people load and unload in large numbers, making it quick and efficient. As I recall, Curitiba's BRT system is the most efficient public transportation system in the world.

In Albuquerque, we have a modified BRT system. Rapid Ride has articulated buses and is also an "express" system, meaning it does not stop at all the regular bus stops, so it moves people longer distances much more effectively. It has attracted a much more diverse ridership than the regular buses and they have, to large success, expanded this by offering additional incentives like free WiFi. The interiors are also surprisingly comfortable and the stops more developed with rain/shade structures and digital readouts to let you know when the next one is coming. It does not do the mass loading/unloading, though, and that is where there could be improvement, IMO.

My second observation about this article is the suggestion/discussion in the reader comments about rail being more affordable over the long haul than BRTs. I still am not so sure about this. The primary reason Curitiba developed the BRT system was because they could not afford rail. Perhaps if they looked at revenue over some long period of time, rail becomes more economic, but, just as with a household, its all about cash flow. What kind of money do you have to invest in transit TODAY?

In my opinion, when a BRT system is implemented with the mass loading/unloading approach, it becomes much more flexible than rail. Routes can be changed, added, and altered at minimal additional cost compared to rail. Adding new lines is also relatively easy. The options for fitting it into the existing ROWs is simpler, too (with many options - dedicated lanes, shared lanes, running them up the medians, etc.).

Lastly, I feel that the discussion this article focuses on should be about making the transit experience safe, pleasing and comfortable, period. This should be the standard we hold to attract ALL riders, not just the "hot chicks." Besides, I have seen plenty of AYFs waiting for the bus around here. They just maybe aren't well-off AYFs, which is maybe what these people are after - attracting people who don't need to take the bus (ie. they own a car), but do so by choice. Poor people can be hot, too...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bus rapid transit in Detroit
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 25 Jan 2012, 1:13 PM
  2. Rapid transit around the world
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 10:48 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Oct 2007, 10:47 AM
  4. Bus rapid transit or BRT article
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jun 2007, 3:03 PM
  5. MTA (NYC) and bus rapid transit (BRT)?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 5:20 PM