Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Retrofitting houses for seniors

Registered
    Jul 2002

Retrofitting houses for seniors

Does anyone have any good references regarding benefits/problems retrofitting houses for seniors?
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 2002
    What exactly are you looking for? I handle a fair amount of retrofit when folks renovate their homes. The biggest problem honestly has been the banks, money is so tight right now.

Structural issues surrounding the ability to widen doorways has presented a few problems and most of our homes are 2 story or split level but we have worked with many folks to do master suite additions with accessible baths. AARP did a workshop I guess almost 2 years ago now about aging in place and modifications, Ill see if I still have the info and PM you.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2002

Retrofitting

I was asked by a fellow staff person to speak on retrofitting houses to a comprehensive planning committee for a small community.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Demographers are finding that the aging baby boomers are unlike their parents. Fewer are choosing to move to Arizona and Florida. As they retire, they are likely to buy a home at least as large as the one they are leaving behind. They do not want to live in senior communities, and they still prefer suburban locations. As they age they intend to remain in their homes. This will mean that renovations are going to be needed to many homes to provide access for people with limited mobility. It is also going to lead to more accommodation for live-in caretakers, such as second master suites or accessory units.

HUD has some publications on accessibility retrofits. I expect these are available online.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I think this is very true and growing with the credit crunch, I am talking to more and more folks looking at retirement but realizing they don't have the money to move to Fla (or some such) or their home they were using as the money in the bank has lost so much value they figure they might as well prepare to stay for the long haul. The money is gone they have to stay, I do not see this turning around for 5 years or so.

We are seeing a growing number of folks wanting to add an addition that's built for accessibility or requests for ADU for mom or dad where they used to have the garage. No two are alike but they are growing.

Come on would you want to move into one of these geezertoriums where they just move you along the system until you move into one of their on site cemeteries?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Oct 2012, 3:18 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Jun 2009, 11:05 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 3:29 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2008, 9:50 AM
  5. Seniors and the city
    Economic and Community Development