Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Walmart centered developments - looking for good site design

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006

Walmart centered developments - looking for good site design

I'm looking for some examples of some high quality commercial developements with really great site design and landscaping. In particular, I need examples of developments that have a Walmart as an anchor.

If you have links to pictures of the development, that would be great. I could also use city, state, and cross streets so that I could look it up on googlemaps or microsoft maps.

I'm being charged with writing development guildelines for a Walmart project and would like to see site plans, architecture, and landscaping for the best Walmart projects. I've already been to their website....I'm interested in a planner's perspective.

If I gotta have a Walmart in my community, it'$ gonna look like a million buck$.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    What community are you working for? I have reviewed Wal-mart sites in at least two Chicago suburbs, and I have visited a third (all of which are very well-landscaped and have some interesting architectural elements).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    This one is pretty nice, for a Walmart. The building itself is pretty much hidden from the road.

Wickford, RI Walmart

Here's the shopping center's website with some schematics:

http://www.wickfordjunction.com/

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Two Chicago-area Wal-Marts with good design that I can think of are the brand new Wal-Mart Supercenter on Route 31 in Crystal Lake and the Wal-Mart on Randall Road in Algonquin. The latter is expanding to a supercenter this year and the entire facade will be re-done, making it even better-looking than it was before. Abundant landscaping, nice building entrances, varied rooflines, different color schemes, and good site design can be found at both locations. They are heralded consistently by local residents and have become destinations for Wal-Mart shoppers dissatisfied with the conditions of other locations. PM me if you need more info.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the advice! I'll look up the Walmarts that you mentioned, Illinois Planner and see if we can use some of the site design elements. Thanks for the links Jmello!

Registered
    Aug 2008

Round Rock Texas walmart

Is supposed to be really nice. I've seen developer-submitted artist elevations of the building. Don't know if it was actually ever built or not.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The future of mall-centered retail chains
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Oct 2009, 9:09 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Mar 2009, 12:50 PM
  3. Walmart Does a Good Thing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Jan 2007, 8:28 AM