Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Every County I've ever been in

Every County I've ever been in

Full size image

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ies2008-5a.gif

I am compiling a map of every U. S. county I have ever been. The darker the color, the more intensive the use. For example, the reds and browns are multiple days camping, canoeing, biking or a large number of day trips. Orange represents just one or two day trips or hotel stay. Yellow is drive through only, while blue is expressway driving or night driving where you can't see anything worthwhile.

This comes from researching old routes of vacations I've taken over the past 35 years. It's dynamic so I'm sure that I'll be adding more soon.

Just thought I'd share with you my latest waste-of-time-project.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 22 Aug 2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: updated thumbnail

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Looks like you need to finish coloring in Fulton County, GA - the top third of the county is still white (and not red like the lower two-thirds)....there's actually been talk of trying break that top third back off of Fulton and restore it to its former status as Milton County, but it hasn't happened yet.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Looks like you need to finish coloring in Fulton County, GA - the top third of the county is still white (and not red like the lower two-thirds)....there's actually been talk of trying break that top third back off of Fulton and restore it to its former status as Milton County, but it hasn't happened yet.

Yeah, it does need a little work. I already see some counties that I've been to that I have omitted. E. G. Somerset County P. A.

Thanks for the heads-up. I never realized Fulton Co. was so "Gerrymandered." I'll revise it next time I have access to Microsoft Paint.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    According to your color scheme you have spent some , not enough , or no time in some of my favorite counties.

Red - Cache County, UT; Hamilton County, NY
    Blue - Ocean County, NJ; Union, NJ
    White - Vanderburgh County, IN; Summit and Denver County, CO

Does it look like you missed some along I-70 and I-80 ?
    Last edited by JNA; 21 Aug 2008 at 5:53 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    This looks like fun. How did you compile this?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

I may be the anti-you. While we have a lot of overlap, there are so many places you've been that I have never gone to and vice versa. For example, I've been to LA County in California and the counties around Santa Fe New Mexico, but never the northern counties in the state. I live in suffolk county mass and go to new york county ny all the time.

Do you think if we were ever in the same county at the same time there would be an explosion? If we could harness that energy, could the price of gas drop below $3?

Great Idea. I am off to create my own map.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Welcome back! Never been to Niagara Falls, NY? NF is in Niagara county, just north of Erie county (Buffalo). I'm not that old and I don't think I could do an accurate map, well maybe if I had a detailed map to begin with I'd remember what counties I've been in.

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    This looks like fun. How did you compile this?
    In the 1970s when I was a kid, I used to mark up all the routes we took on our family vacations in an old Rand McNally atlas. For years that old atlas was missing but recently turned up, showing the exact routes we took, and the dates we stayed there.

But I didn't do it for our 1981 trip out west. A lot of that is from memory. Green-shaded counties are ones that I may have been in but cannot veryify. E.. G. Several Wyoming and Montana. counties are shaded green because that is possible the route we took from Glacier N. P to Yellowstone and Laramie but there is no way of telling for sure.

In later years I wrote detailed verbal descriptions of all vacation routes and the day trips on them.

Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Welcome back! Never been to Niagara Falls, NY? NF is in Niagara county, just north of Erie county (Buffalo).
    Correction #2. I actually have.

Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    I may be the anti-you. While we have a lot of overlap, there are so many places you've been that I have never gone to and vice versa. For example, I've been to LA County in California and the counties around Santa Fe New Mexico, but never the northern counties in the state. I live in suffolk county mass and go to new york county ny all the time.

Do you think if we were ever in the same county at the same time there would be an explosion? If we could harness that energy, could the price of gas drop below $3?

Great Idea. I am off to create my own map.

Here's the site:

http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/gene...3/stco2003.pdf
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 22 Aug 2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: triple reply

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    How did you add colors and mark the counties in which you have been? Did you import it into paint?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

How did you add colors and mark the counties in which you have been? Did you import it into paint?

Here is the map in .gif format

http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/gene...3/stco2003.gif

I just saved it, then opened it up as a bitmap with Microsoft Paint, colored the counties, then saved it as a .gif file to save space.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Got it, thanks Friend.

Blue- Where I currently live
    Dark Red- Counties in which I have lived before.
    Bright Red-Where I have spent the night
    Orange-Counties in which I have spent a substantial amount of time
    Yellow-Just driving through.
    Green- Airport landings

Full size copy can be found here. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s2008-5a-1.gif

Ask any questions, yes I do know that I need to get out East and to California.

-Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    This comes from researching old routes of vacations I've taken over the past 35 years.
    I'm a little confused about your excursions through the New York Metro area. Or did you take the subway?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Ah...see you were in Westchester County, NY for a bit...you aren't in Mt. Vernon NY are you???
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the heads-up. I never realized Fulton Co. was so "Gerrymandered." I'll revise it next time I have access to Microsoft Paint.
    Yeah, Fulton is a mess (in more ways than one) - Campbell County (the southern third of Fulton) and Milton County (the northern third) both went bankrupt during the Great Depression and were rolled into Fulton, which is why it's shaped like this:

I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by tsc View post
    Ah...see you were in Westchester County, NY for a bit...you aren't in Mt. Vernon NY are you???
    Nah-uh. That only has a light tomato-red blotch. Methinks you have to look for the dark bloody-red spots. And whattaya know, there's one right on George Washington's estate in Virginia!

(Is that not the most famous Mt. Vernon of all?)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    how much time did it take you to do this? where did you find the counties along routes of highways?

i've been a lot of places but i have no idea what county they are in. that would take some time.

boise? portland, me? portland, or? the dells, or? san fran? reno, nv? cape girardeau, mo?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

I have updated the map to correct some of the mistakes and add a few counties that I forgot about. E. G. I forgot all about Northern Florida.

But the thumbnail still shows the old map.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    For counties I have driven through, I pulled out the Rand McNally and followed major routes that I have driven (or rode along on family trips).

Mine didn't take very long, maybe an hour or so last night while the wife was cooking and watching TeeVee. But then again, my map is not as complex or well traveled as SAC's

-Peart

Got it, thanks Friend.

Blue- Where I currently live
    Dark Red- Counties in which I have lived before.
    Bright Red-Where I have spent the night
    Orange-Counties in which I have spent a substantial amount of time
    Yellow-Just driving through.
    Green- Airport landings

Full size copy can be found here. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s2008-5a-1.gif

Ask any questions, yes I do know that I need to get out East and to California.

Nice

Looks like you have got Colorado pretty much wrapped up The only times I was there was when we drove down from Laramie just to add the state (my first time there) and the four corners and the tri-state boundary between CO-NM-OK.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    how much time did it take you to do this?
    You don't want to know.

[quote]

where did you find the counties along routes of highways?
    I kept records by tracing with a marker some of the routes from our family vacations from the 70s. In later years it was detailed written descriptions in my travel journal.)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Nice

Looks like you have got Colorado pretty much wrapped up The only times I was there was when we drove down from Laramie just to add the state (my first time there) and the four corners and the tri-state boundary between CO-NM-OK.
    Yeah, I have been meaning to head out east in Colorado more. The last time I took that I-70 route through Eastern Colorado and Kansas was 1992 or so. This helps as I have wanted to document all the Colorado counties that I have been in for some time.

My wife didn't understand why I thought this was so fun...

-Peart

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Looks like a fun thing to do this weekend. I would have to rely on my memory however. New England and west of CO would be blank. Now, what was I going to do this weekend?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Looks like a fun thing to do this weekend. I would have to rely on my memory however.
    i should clean this weekend but this looks like a lot more fun.

i've been meaning to sit down with my folks and siblings and try to remember all the family trips we took back through the ages. this sounds like a good excuse.

some of the details i would just have to guess.
    Last edited by dandy_warhol; 22 Aug 2008 at 11:49 AM.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Here is the map in .gif format

http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/gene...3/stco2003.gif

I just saved it, then opened it up as a bitmap with Microsoft Paint, colored the counties, then saved it as a .gif file to save space.
    can i ask what drawing function you used in Paint? when i try to do the freehand shape it turns out looking like i have the shakes. and the other polygon function you end up not being able to see through the color to the name.

plus my Paint must be effed up because my yellows are appearing grey, reds are appearing greyer, only the blues are showing up and they look more purple-y. wtf?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    can i ask what drawing function you used in Paint? when i try to do the freehand shape it turns out looking like i have the shakes. and the other polygon function you end up not being able to see through the color to the name.

plus my Paint must be effed up because my yellows are appearing grey, reds are appearing greyer, only the blues are showing up and they look more purple-y. wtf?
    I just used the "paint can" function to color in the counties.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Apr 2008, 12:20 AM
  2. Hello from Orange County, CA
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Mar 2008, 9:00 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 7:43 PM