Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Master of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning

Registered
    Aug 2008

Master of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning

I am currently going to Cal Poly SLO and on track to recieve my Bachlor of City and Regional Planning in 2010. I was wondering if I should get a dual masters in urban planning and landscape architecture or just in landscape architecture.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Do you want to practice as both a planner and an LA? If you are going straight on to grad school, just do the MLA (it will be intense enough without repeating the same coursework).

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Nick has a good point. I guess my question is, what do you want to ultimately do? If you want to be a planner, than you should be set. If you want to be a design, just make sure to hit up more LA classes. You have great professors there such as Astrid Reeves who have a great nack for teaching design. Take advantage of other courses that CAED has to offer.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Aug 2008
    I would like to go strait into grad school (I am worried that once I stop going to school I will never want to go back, that is the reason my dad is 12 units shy of his masters in education). I would like to be both an urban planner and landscape architect working on more design rather than policy oriented projects.

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Again, don't bother with the MUP (it's a better choice if you are just going into planning).

Yes, going back to school down the road is no fun. It's hard enough trying to stake awake studying for the AICP exam let alone going back for an MLA in a few years. However, have you considered working for a few years as an urban designer THEN going back? You might make more coming out of school with some years under your belt in a related field (at least that's my course).

Registered
    Aug 2008

Confused Student

I also have a question.

I am on track to graduate with a B.A. in Arch. in 2012. I will be able to be licensed after this degree, but I am hoping that I can go into Planning in the Fall of 2012. Is it extremely common for Planners to double as Architects in a firm. Because I can't see myself doing either one alone, and I am really interested in large scale design such as L.Arch, but don't want to specialize so soon. Can anyone make any recommendations for me? I have tried contacting the development company for the suburb I live in, but to no avail.

Thank You

Registered
    Aug 2008
    By fall of 2012 I mean, I am considering entering a Planning school in the fall of 2012.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Architects and landscape architects can double as planners without the planning degree, but planners can't practice arch/LA without the arch or landscape arch degrees (because the arch/LA are far more technical degrees than a planning degrees and you don't need a planning degree to do planning, although it certainly helps)

Architecture, landscape architecture, and planning are very board FIELDS, so I don't think you would be pigeon-holing yourself. Of all 3 fields, I think an architecture degree is the most flexible (although the landscape architects might disagree).

Sounds to me like you are interested in site design/master planning. Personally, I would look for work in a design firm after college. This might be a challenge in a bad economy where there is much less demand for residential planning. However, some metro areas are still experiencing growth (check other threads on here). If you HAVE to go back to school, I would recommend working towards an MLA. (with some electives in plant material and planning). You could complete it in less time due to your undergrad design degree in architecture.

Hope this helps-

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dr j View post
    I would like to be both an urban planner and landscape architect working on more design rather than policy oriented projects.Thanks
    To be quite honest, i would change just finish out over at Poly and then apply to the grad program (don't know if poly has an LA grad program). My firm, which is based out of SLO, employs landscape architects that do planning and design work and all of them do not have a master's degree. I do urban design, and i just have a BS from poly. So before you go off and spend a ton of money on a Master's, really think through what you want to do with this degree. Unless you want to venture into the public sector or move up and own your own firm you really don't need a master's imo, especially coming from a program like CPSLO.

I was going to apply to a few MLA programs and maybe 2 MUP programs. Should I scratch the latter and stick to MLA? If so, for what reason? Curious what people think!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by livingproof View post
    I was going to apply to a few MLA programs and maybe 2 MUP programs. Should I scratch the latter and stick to MLA? If so, for what reason? Curious what people think!
    Do you want to practice in both fields? What is your background (college degree, job experience, interests)?

Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Do you want to practice in both fields? What is your background (college degree, job experience, interests)?
    I think eventually I do want to practice both. Finishing up a BA in liberal arts, no job experience to speak of, volunteering at a garden and park (both horticulture dept.).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Before taking the time to apply to multiple schools in multiple programs, what particular interests do you have in BOTH fields? What do you want to do as a planner? What do you want to do as a landscape architect?

If you are much more interested in design, I would say go for the MLA.
    If you are interested in design but with some research projects, I would recommend an MLA with a planning elective or two. If you are interested in projects that don't have much overlap (economic development and park design, affordable housing and streetscapes, etc.) go with a dual degree. In these cases it is better to have both degrees for credentials.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Thank you to everyone who has posted so far!

So over the few days I have been doing a lot more research on the subject. It seems that because I am more interested in design I might be better served with a MLA (please feel free to comment if you contradict me; despite my recent research on the subject I remain fairly ignorant about the subject).

Does anyone know how competetive MLA programs are to get into (I am interested in harvard, Penn, Cornell, Cal, Michigan, and N Carolina). Also, does anyone have suggestions of what could go into my protfolio as a City and Regional Planning major (I have also taken a few drawing classes)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Include anything from your CRP 200, 300 and 400 series classes, as well as your required LA courses. Throw in a writing sample from those courses as well to include in your portfolio.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Hey Dr. J, I am actually in the process of preparing my applications for an MLA. Someone told me (but don't take my word for it), that Cal is really hard to get in, especially if you are from out of state. Also, I don't believe North Carolina has an MLA program, however North Carolina State does. I'm applying to a lot: Harvard, UPenn, Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois, Texas, Colorado, and Cal. If anyone can tell me the difficulty of getting into these schools as well. I am assuming Harvard, UPenn, Michigan and Cal are the ones that will be toughest for me.

Also right now my #1 choice is Ohio State, anyone know the difficulty of getting into that program?

Colorado and Texas are my safeties for right now (according to the website Texas' MLA acceptance rate is about 52% not too bad).

Master of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning

hi...I am currently holding a Master degree in Planning. I would like to pursue my study in Landscape Architecture, Does it ok?

Moderator note:
    (Dan) In the future, please reply to posts using the quote button or the reply button . Don't use the report post button - that's for reporting inappropriate posts, trolling, spam and so on.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Mar 2011, 6:47 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Sep 2009, 2:57 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 May 2009, 11:10 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Jan 2007, 8:27 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Jun 2001, 12:46 PM