Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job opportunities in regional Australia?

Registered
    Aug 2008

Job opportunities in regional Australia?

I've been looking around at regional Victoria jobs, out of curiosity mainly... I haven't really been looking for too long, or too hard just yet, but it's making me wonder what kinds of opportunities exist for planners willing to move to regional areas.

Do regional councils & private businesses (servicing/in regional areas) generally provide good incentive (financial, other benefits, work/life balance etc) to encourage good/decent planners to come to them..?

I think they'd need to, wouldn't they..?

Is there anyone here who works, or has worked, in regional areas?
    Last edited by _KO_; 22 Aug 2008 at 6:57 AM. Reason: clarification of sentence

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I used to work in regional WA in a small country town where you could typically expect a car, well subsidised housing and extra money. However if you're moving to Australia or a new state I'd suggest doing at least a short contract in a city or major regional town before heading regional where you're likely to be the only planner in town.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally posted by _KO_ View post
    I've been looking around at regional Victoria jobs, out of curiosity mainly... I haven't really been looking for too long, or too hard just yet, but it's making me wonder what kinds of opportunities exist for planners willing to move to regional areas.

Do regional councils & private businesses (servicing/in regional areas) generally provide good incentive (financial, other benefits, work/life balance etc) to encourage good/decent planners to come to them..?

I think they'd need to, wouldn't they..?

Is there anyone here who works, or has worked, in regional areas?
    Hi there,

I've worked at Wangaratta previously (NE Victoria) and there are usually lots of jobs in the regional areas, particularly those where no major regional townships are located (e.g. places like Indigo Shire). I was sponsored a working visa by the company and there's a pretty good work/life balance in the sense that I get off work by 5. No financial incentives though - and you have to enjoy life in the country to want to stay there.

Unfortunately the large regional towns (ie Bendigo, Ballarat and Geelong) are typically fully employed, although every now and then opportunities do come up.

Check the PIA or MAV website. They have a lot of information there. If not you can PM me.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys. I'm already in Australia & have been working in a major city for the Gov't for almost 4yrs now.

I'm now feeling that I need to expand my knowledge & get more experience under my belt.. regional jobs seem to perhaps provide more opporunity to get my hands on a few different types of situations & work. I don't really want to stay in this kind of situation for too long, i'm worried that it'll hinder my chances of making a shift to private/various other opportunities if I get up too high in the heirarchy here (re: pay, how 'sheltered' I am, what my percieved abilities are by those employing etc.. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone else..?).

The spots I've sort of sussed out are places like Sale, Bairnsdale.. so really not that big at all really & still fairly close to Melbourne. I don't need the high life, but would like to know that they'd be able to look after me.

Thanks again. I'm going to put my feelers out properly very soon for regional/city jobs all over Australia, I'll let you all know what I find myself!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally posted by _KO_ View post
    Thanks guys. I'm already in Australia & have been working in a major city for the Gov't for almost 4yrs now.

I'm now feeling that I need to expand my knowledge & get more experience under my belt.. regional jobs seem to perhaps provide more opporunity to get my hands on a few different types of situations & work. I don't really want to stay in this kind of situation for too long, i'm worried that it'll hinder my chances of making a shift to private/various other opportunities if I get up too high in the heirarchy here (re: pay, how 'sheltered' I am, what my percieved abilities are by those employing etc.. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone else..?).

The spots I've sort of sussed out are places like Sale, Bairnsdale.. so really not that big at all really & still fairly close to Melbourne. I don't need the high life, but would like to know that they'd be able to look after me.

Thanks again. I'm going to put my feelers out properly very soon for regional/city jobs all over Australia, I'll let you all know what I find myself!
    Hi KO

No probs. I would say that planning jobs in regional Australia are quite varied, although more skewed towards the rural/agricultural side of things. For instance, I worked on rural and urban residential subdivisions, farm developments, as well as some urban design guidelines, telecommunications applications and the like. Mostly the jobs are geared towards development applications and management rather than strategic planning, although there are some councils which have capacities to take on strategic planning + urban design, so they will look for people with background in those areas.

All the best in your search!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    G'day KO

I'm a Cadet Planner with the City of Greater Bendigo (CoGB).

Planning jobs (Statutory,Strategic, Social, Community, Transport, etc) come up from time-to-time at the CoGB. I guess you just have to keep your eyes peeled.

My experiences over the past 12-months of working in Stat Planning at the CoGB have been nothing short of brilliant - great support, plenty of learning opportunities, a variety of tasks, flexible rosters, and plenty of challenging roles.

It is my understanding that the CoGB will pay well enough to attract planners with the right credentials. I'm certainly happy with what I receive as a second-year (mature-age) student.

I keep a running tally of the positions that become available throughout regional/provincial Victoria, and from what I've seen there are always good opportunities for people who are prepared to go beyond the outer-ring of Melbourne, both in the public and private realms.

Working in a regional setting gives one the opportunity to become a part of the community as there are always plenty of 'community-orientated' roles to fill - whether it be on the local Landcare committee, or at the local football/netball club.

I like Bendigo because at just over 100,000 people it is big enough to experience anonymity when one needs a break, and small enough to form good friendships when one needs social support.

Lastly, Bendigo has an excellent under/post grad planning course at its very own university campus: La Trobe University (Bendigo).

Feel free to contact me if I can be of further help.

Cheerio, and good luck with your search.

Mark

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the response Mark, it's good to hear from someone who's out there now & being treated well by their job/lifestyle/community I'm definitely in no major rush to move, so I'm able to keep an eye out for the 'better' opportunities that might arise..

I see what you mean about the population, that is a good point. I've wondered about that the most, as I've never really lived anywhere particularly 'small' before.. so that'll be an interesting change! But nothing that can't be adjusted to, hopefully!

Will keep you in mind, thanks again!

Registered
    Jun 2003

There is a good job available in Regional NSW now

I've posted a job here that may be of interest to anyone wanting to work in regional NSW.

Closes: 5 October 2008

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Western Australia: lots of opportunities
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 24 Apr 2010, 11:15 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 08 Mar 2010, 5:55 PM
  3. Co-op opportunities
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1