Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Start date postponed, is this typical?

Start date postponed, is this typical?

I was recently offered a position as an Assistant Planner for the third largest city in the state. I accepted the position over 3 weeks ago, and subsequently gave notice to my current employer (an internship). This position is also requiring a move.

Per my interview and the official offer letter I received, I was planning for a start date of Sept. 2nd. I talked to HR two weeks ago to give them the heads up for getting my paperwork in order. Last Thursday I called because I had a couple general questions in preparation for starting on the 2nd, and was informed that they had decided to delay my start date by ONE MONTH.

A couple of things make this seem very troubling to me: 1. I called THEM, when were they planning on telling me that my start date was delayed? 2. They knew that I was making preparations to leave my current internship in time for the Sept. 2nd start date, and also that I would be moving for this position. Now I am faced with having no income for a month while all of my bills go late. I keep getting the run around every time I call, questioning whether they are going to honor their official offer letter or stick to the one month delay, and as of today (a week from when I am supposed to start), I can't get anyone in HR or the Planning Dept. to call me back.

I am seriously starting to panic. Is this treatment to be expected in a slow and indecisive bureaucracy? Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    YIKES!

This is very troubling, especially since you are moving for the job, its awfully unprofessional and reflects poorly on your future employer. If I were you, I would keep my options open until you actually start. See if your internship will extend your time and do not move until they give you a firm date. I would tell them this too(if you can ever speak to them in person). If they could do this, couldn't they delay the start again or rescind the offer entirely. You may not be getting calls back because they are trying to figure out things on the fly or something happened, either a personnel issue, budget or political issue can be suspected for the delay. Definitely keep applying, looking and interviewing until they stop the games.

Not typical, at all!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I had something similar to this about 4 years ago. Keep looking. If you can't get your old internship back, file for unemployment (you have a written letter of offer as proof) and keep on looking for a full-time job elsewhere.

Sorry.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yup the magic 8 ball says you could be seriously out of luck I think with the current economy this will be happening more and more. One of the depts in my fair city just had a position cut after they made a job offer to someone...laid off before you even start.

Give the actual department you applied to a call and talk with them and by all means keep looking for a job in case this one is indeed belly up.

Best of luck
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What is a typical day as a planner like?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Jul 2012, 9:31 AM
  2. Replies: 70
    Last post: 12 Aug 2008, 5:01 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Dec 2007, 10:50 AM
  4. Typical pay for consultants?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Nov 2007, 3:47 PM
  5. Replies: 0