Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transformation from industrial to commercial ?

Transformation from industrial to commercial ?

I'm on a study project about transformation a 300 hecta landuse from Industrial to Commercial . I wonder if there is any example of that kind of transformation ?

Actually i'm thinking of the advantage of the industrial infrastructure and the terrain but the current environment isnt very good with some pollution problem.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    If my conversion is correct, 300 ha = 750 acres +/-. That is a lot of land. Is the project in Vietnam?

sorry for replying late

yes, it's in vietnam . An interesting ideal rite ?

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Is there a market to support that much commercial? If it has a good transportation access, then perhaps a major distribution/warehouse component has a chance of success. Some Retail and perhaps office complex. What about a major entertainment complex? If the pollution is from stuff spilled on the ground, and not ongoing air polution, it can be handled in several ways. If groundwater is not at risk the contaminated soil could be covered with buildings, roadways, etc. The rest might be just covered with grass for the time being.

What about a major entertainment complex? Is there enough population density to support a medium sized amusement park. (Something like Coney Island in NYC, not Disney World.)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Although not quite that large, a fairly sizable former industrial plant site (Allis-Chalmers?) in West Allis, WI (suburban Milwaukee) was converted into a commercial complex in the 1980s and 1990s with mixed success.

You might want to check with the City of West Allis for more on it.

Mike

thank u all ! Though we finished the design and waiting for the presentation date, i really appreciate all of ur comments here everytime I re-read this ths thread

ah, I think i should give more information about the project :
    It's a competition so surely it has investment and support from the government .
    location : Bien Hoa 1 Industrial park - Bien Hoa city - Vietnam.
    area : 325 hectare
    challenge : transform the industrial park into a new urban commercial neighborhood .

I will post some image of our design soon when the competition is finished

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Jul 2010, 7:37 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 25 May 2007, 8:02 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Feb 2003, 2:18 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Aug 2001, 4:12 PM
  5. Replies: 0