Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Header curb" and berm over existing asphalt

Registered
    Aug 2008

"Header curb" and berm over existing asphalt

Label this one Goofy design.

A fixit for an overzealous and out of bounds contractor who pushed out the planned planted buffers to make more parking calls for installing "header curb" with weeps over existing parking spaces.

This idea bears the stamp of a landscape architect.

I called their office for more detail on how to accomplish the planting of shade trees in such a location.

They said they would come up with something.

Anyone hear of a similar approach?

Registered
    Aug 2008

header curbs etc

Forgot to include a salient detail. Between the proposed header and the existing curb, the idea is to bring in soil to make a berm three feet high, in which plants are to be inserted.

My call to the designer asked for guidance on how to accomplish planting on top of asphalt, particularly for the red maples called out.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think that any reasonable arborist will agree the extra pavement has to be removed.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Wow.

As a landscape architect, I'm insulted.

Who spec'd this? If you don't want to post the name, please pm me....

The asphalt needs to be removed, and the contractor who exceeded his plans should pay for it.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Off-topic:
    Does anyone else have "berm over existing asphalt" going through their head like "bridge over troubled waters"?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    I think that any reasonable arborist will agree the extra pavement has to be removed.
    That shows how much you know about landscape architecture for scumbag property owners (LASPO)!

With the asphalt in place it will be possible to let the trees die in 1-2 years. Then the best thing to do will be to remove the berm where nothing will grow anyway, and have a nice piece of black asphalt. The city likely will not follow up. The property owner will get what he wants.

I have encountered something like this before, although they did not propose to plant trees on it, just grass. My favorite was the LA who showed maples planted one foot from the top of an eight foot retaining wall.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by fringe View post
    Label this one Goofy design.

[snip]

Anyone hear of a similar approach?
    Yes, any time someone is trying to get away with something and hopes the city won't follow up.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    This idea bears the stamp of a landscape architect.
    Wow!!!

Your statement bears the stamp of a.............you might think twice about making a blanket insult.

Craig A Raines
    Landscape Architect #4082
    State Of California

Registered
    Aug 2008

header curb etc

Craig,

My post did not intend to insult anyone.

I too am trying to find sanity in an insane place.

I thought this forum would maybe shed some light on how professionals in this area find their way through the jungle.

I am aware that the leap from design to reality is sometimes a long one.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by craines View post
    Wow!!!

Your statement bears the stamp of a.............you might think twice about making a blanket insult.

Craig A Raines
    Landscape Architect #4082
    State Of California
    I could be wrong but I don't think that sentence was meant as a blanket insult. I think it was meant to say that the idea (which seems outrageous) was actually stamped by someone who is a Landscape Architect. There are hacks in all fields (hack planners are common) and I think the intent was to say "Isn't it crazy that someone who maintains their license in LA actually was willing to stamp this idea?"

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    I could be wrong but I don't think that sentence was meant as a blanket insult. I think it was meant to say that the idea (which seems outrageous) was actually stamped by someone who is a Landscape Architect. There are hacks in all fields (hack planners are common) and I think the intent was to say "Isn't it crazy that someone who maintains their license in LA actually was willing to stamp this idea?"
    This is how I read the comment as well.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    It is interesting that the landscape architects took it as a insult.............you gotta remember is that the public perception of a landscape architect is often that of a glorified gardener............so we at times can get a bit defensive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 24 Jul 2006, 10:51 AM