Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Webcomics Thread

Registered
    Jul 2003

The Webcomics Thread

Funny, I did a search and this apparently hasn't been discussed before here on Cyburbia. I would think with the wacky sense of humor some folks here have and the tendency for planners to be visual-spatial types, some Cyburbians would be webcomics fans. But, hey, maybe this will be yet another typical MZ "died at birth" thread. (If so, maybe some mod should just move the post to the random thoughts thread. )

The only webcomic I have ever followed is Planet Karen. The link is to the first strip. The artwork and such gets better as it goes along.

My oldest son follows a comic called The Wotch. He also reads lots of other comics.

Anyway, just wondering if others here read any webcomics, have thoughts on them...etc.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Seems like this got discussed in a semi-related thread before...but beat me, whip me, write bad checks, and post about comics, I guess I'll have to talk about it some more!

My favorite web comic is Dinosaur comics. The premise of the comic is unique - it's the same art in every panel every single time, the only thing that changes is the dialogue. You might think that a terribly limiting thing but not to Ryan North, the comic genius who created the strip:

http://www.qwantz.com/archive/000558.html

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I read alot of web comics, either on a daily basis or a list I go through every Friday.

(I'm at work so I'll add links later.)
    Penny Arcade
    XKCD
    Sinfest
    Giants in the Playground
    Perry Bible Fellowship
    Post-Nuke Comic

And of course the comment blogs:
    Comics Curmudgeon
    Bad Zits

Registered
    Jul 2007
    In grad school, all my friends and I followed PhD comics. All the wackiness of grad school, writing a thesis and working at the university.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Not sure why I can't edit, oh well. Fixed some names and added a few too.

Here's Piled Higher & Deeper that beach_bum refers to, I used to read it too when I was in school.

Penny Arcade - modern gaming comic
    XKCD - computers, politics, luv
    Sinfest - luv, religion, pets
    Order of the Stick (Giants in the Playground site) - long-running story based on a D&D campaign
    Perry Bible Fellowship - very random, probably gives me the most laughs but not updated very often
    Post-Nuke Comic - story about surviving after a nuclear war
    Gone With The Blastwave - another post-apocalyptic, but with standalone jokes
    Basic Instructions - twisted how-to comics
    Tundra - new one to me, Far Side-esque, not sure if it will stay in the lineup
    DM of the Rings - Comic made with screen captures of the LOTR movies, fun for Tolkien fans, gamers or movie fans. Finished now but well worth the read.

And of course the comment blogs:
    Comics Curmudgeon
    Better Zits

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post

XKCD - computers, politics, luv
    DM of the Rings - Comic made with screen captures of the LOTR movies, fun for Tolkien fans, gamers or movie fans. Finished now but well worth the read.
    I've seen a little of each of those. In fact, I posted a link to an XKCD strip in the random thoughts thread recently. Coincidentally, after I posted the link, someone posted a different strip in that comic on a list I belong to and remarked that it contains a lot of math humor. (Or something like that.)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I love XKCD too but don't check it out to regularly.

Here are the ones that I look at every day:
    Ctrl+Alt+Del - I've been following this one for about 4 years now. The main characters are a couple of video game nerds.
    Questionable Content - Another one that I've been following for a while now. I fell in love with it because of the obscure music references.
    Diesel Sweeties - Robots and rock music... what else could you want?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    There is Over The Hedge because they have a hot tubbing character called RJ,
    oh wait
    that is here in Cyburbia ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Questionable Content - Another one that I've been following for a while now. I fell in love with it because of the obscure music references.
    I'm not very music literate. Can you give me an example of one with an obscure music reference? (You will probably have to explain it because I probably wont' get it.)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    I'm not very music literate. Can you give me an example of one with an obscure music reference? (You will probably have to explain it because I probably wont' get it.)
    The author has a penchant for name-dropping bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Blood Brothers, or Ratatat... bands that many haven't heard of but if you listen to NPR, they are often the types of bands who's music is used frequently in the interludes between program segments. People often accuse Pitchfork Media of being music elitists but I think Questionable Content (QC) may be a step or three beyond them.

The QC author has also created his own genre of music that is a recurring storyline within the comic - Hobocore (and its offshot Hobo Metal). I guess he would describe it as the emo musicians who were nothing more than poseurs with their designer ratty flannel and expensive haircuts that look messy on purpose... well, in the comic, these musicians have decided to go for the ultimate in authenticity by moving to the streets... of the Northampton, MA like setting of the comic strip.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    The QC author has also created his own genre of music that is a recurring storyline within the comic - Hobocore (and its offshot Hobo Metal). I guess he would describe it as the emo musicians who were nothing more than poseurs with their designer ratty flannel and expensive haircuts that look messy on purpose... well, in the comic, these musicians have decided to go for the ultimate in authenticity by moving to the streets... of the Northampton, MA like setting of the comic strip.
    That's great. It makes me want to read some of it and try to find some of the strips with that in it.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    ...The only webcomic I have ever followed is Planet Karen. ....
    Bookmarked! That's my first name, and my older niece's as well.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Bookmarked! That's my first name, and my older niece's as well.

I read about the first 200 strips of "Questionable Content" yesterday. Well, not all of them. I skipped past a couple of the "guest artist" weeks. Good stuff, even though I don't really follow the obscure musical references.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 07 Jan 2013, 10:49 PM
  2. Thread thread attention split
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 May 2012, 4:35 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jun 2011, 3:41 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 4:13 PM