Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sleep in the workplace

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Since Maister seemed to bump a few thread ideas for hilldweller, here goes...

As seen in the news this week:
    A employee of NCDOT was recently fired for sleeping on the job. It was documented with her boss video-tapped her for 4 minutes as she was head bobbing and was her 5th offense in doing so. She is now filing a complaint to get her job back because she has sleep apena which prevents her from getting a restful sleep - thus a medical condition.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    When I doing career #3 or 4 in the computer biz, I worked with a guy who apparently suffered from some form of narcolepsy and would fall asleep at his keyboard. This would happen as he was working and the amazing thing was that when he woke up, he would immediately start keying again and was apparently unaware that he had skipped a few minutes of life. Eventually, he got terminated because he was a contractor and they could do that much more easily to him than they could for some of the even more egregious behavior of their employees. We always wondered how he was able to drive to and from work without killing himself or someone else. Personally, I was very happy when I found out that he lived on the west side and I lived on the east side.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I've done it a few times - but only when hungover. I just go home for lunch, conk on the couch for 45-60. Sometimes at that point you just have to call in and say your going to be out for the rest of the afternoon though.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Funny that this would be bumped today.

I am sick but trying to work through it and was just commenting about passing out. If I am unconcious, but still in my office, am I still 'on the clock'? How would that look on my time log?

And yes, if we had a nap room, I'd definitely have been in there already this morning. We do have a restroom with a couch in the outter area, but since it's co-ed and open to the public, I'm always afraid of just laying down in there.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    When I first began working, I routinely napped in my car right before work and often did so again during lunch. I tried to not call attention to it but I know some folks were well aware of it. I no longer need those naps, which is an indication of how much I've healed.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I haven't but I was in a meeting where a coworker went to sleep in a chair and both turned over, spilling him onto the floor. it was hilarious watching him crab around the floor on his back. This was a meeting with maybe 75 attendees. one guy was laughing so hard he had to excuse himself.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. How much sleep to you get at night?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 02 Dec 2013, 10:04 AM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 14 Feb 2010, 7:46 PM
  3. do spiders sleep?