Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Young Vantonian says hi

Registered
    Sep 2008

Young Vantonian says hi

Hello Everyone,

My name is Nick Gallant. I am a recent BA grad from UBC (Vancouver) in Geography and Economics who's intending to begin a Masters in Urban Planning come Sept 2009.

I've been passionate about planning as a career path since being introduced to it by PLAN 425, an undergraduate level course taught by Tom Hutton at UBC's School of Community and Regional Planning (SCARP). Since then this passion has been re-enforced by a series of amazing mentors including Greg Mitchell (City of Surrey Planner), Michael Mortenson (formerly City of Vancouver Planner, now Senior Development Manager with Grosvenor Canada), and Larry Beasley (former Co-Director of Planning, City of Vancouver and founding principal of Beasley and Associates Planning Consultancy).

I very recently moved from Vancouver to Toronto to be with my partner, Nadia, who's beginning her Masters in Public Health at U of T. During the year that I have off from school I am trying to gain work exposure to land-use or transportation planning. It's been a bit tricky given my lack of planning education beyond an introductory course at UBC's SCARP, but I am plugging away at it. Any suggestions from the community about how I might find a job niche in the planning field would be greatly appreciated!

I hope that this initial post is the beginning of a long series of contributions that I make to this community. My expertise mainly lies in Vancouver issues so if anyone needs assistance or input relating to my former home I'd be happy to be of assistance.

Warm regards to you all!

Sincerely,

Nick Gallant

Greetings from hot, humid, and drought-suffering southern Indiana.

As to finding work without planning education: you may find it useful to volunteer with a municipal planning department. It'd be grunt work, but it could be very valuable expereince. And good contacts!

Anyway, thanks for registering and feel free to jump in!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State, along the Ohio River, in the Central Time Zone.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Young People and Debt
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 19 Jul 2013, 1:40 PM
  2. Died Too Young
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 21 Mar 2009, 9:28 PM
  3. Composure and young people