Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 'Converting single family houses to "party houses"

Registered
    Mar 2004

'Converting single family houses to "party houses"

This afternoon, I tried posting a new thread linking to an article regarding an interesting phenomenon where some people are starting to buy houses in the very average semi-suburban post-WWII blue-collar neighborhoods surrounding Lambeau Field in the Green Bay/Ashwaubenon, WI area and converting them into game-day 'party' houses.

Unfortunately, I cannot see any of the text in that posting. Mods, does it exist anywhere in the electronic ether-World and if not, could you delete the thread.

Thanx!

Mike

Moderator note:
    I don't know what happened to the thread Mike, but you're right: there was nothing inside, zip, zilch, nada. I've deleted that thread.

I find the premise of purchasing a dwelling as a 'party house' incredible -- that's a lot of money to have some place you might use two weeks out of the year. I'd like to read more if you can re-post the link.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Moderator note:
    I don't know what happened to the thread Mike, but you're right: there was nothing inside, zip, zilch, nada. I've deleted that thread.

I find the premise of purchasing a dwelling as a 'party house' incredible -- that's a lot of money to have some place you might use two weeks out of the year. I'd like to read more if you can re-post the link.
    Thanx!

Here's the link:
    http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbc...435/1979/APC01

And a few words from the article:

"Party houses sprout in Green Bay's Lambeau neighborhoods

By Patti Zarling • Gannett Wisconsin Media • August 25, 2008

GREEN BAY — Diehard Green Bay Packers fans might find it irresistible to tailgate with Ray Nitschke's family, watching the Packers play from a living room with a front-row view of Lambeau Field.

At least that's the hope of Amy Klaas, daughter of the Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker, and her husband, Jon.

They're renovating 1173 Shadow Lane, and plan to have work done in time for the Packers' Sept. 8 season-opener against the Minnesota Vikings at Lambeau.

They are taking tailgating to a new level: buying and renovating aging homes surrounding Lambeau to create full-service party houses that offer widescreen TVs, recliners and fully stocked refrigerators."

(see link for rest of article)

I also posted a link to an aerial image of that area, a very typical semi-suburban area of post-WWII working-class houses that surrounds Lambeau Field, a place that if it weren't for the Packers, would likely be the home of a Wal*Mart SuperCenter. There has been some interest in recent years in developing 'game day' residential condomini(m)ums in the area just southeast of Lambeau Field in Ashwaubenon (Lambeau itself and the neighborhoods to its north are in Green Bay), a developing entertainment and local/regional commercial district.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1

The side streets are pretty much parked solid for about 10 blocks in all directions around Lambeau Field on game days.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2004
    How much do houses around there go for? If real estate prices are anything like Buffalo the whole thing might not be that expensive at least if you get a few other people to go in with you.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    that has been common in some college towns for a while. I know when I was in Knoxville (home to the UT VOLS) there was a company called something like "game day housing" which markets houses for out of town alumni to pre- and post- party in during football weekends. friends often go together and buy the house or condo as a group. some of the complexes even had restictions AGAINST renters or being a primary residence to the owner - as this might might create complaints about the parting. I have seen this to a lesser extent in other southern college (mostly SEC) towns as well.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2001
    This is the coolest idea if there ever was a list of coolest ideas.

I want in on this.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Houses in that area have historically sold at a premium (considering they are 1,200 sq.ft. 3 bedroom, 1 bath ranches) because of their location and the fact that you can make a small fortune for 10 Sundays out of the year selling parking on the yard. When the homes went on the market, they would sell fast. The team has now started buying up the commercial properties (including some homes) surrounding the stadium, as well as west along Lombardi Ave (aging 1960's-1970's strip malls and shopping centers). They are are paying well above market value for these properties and significantly driving up the price for those homes and businesses on the market. So, for the average planner (especially those of us on the public side), purchasing a Lambeau Party Home is probably out of reach.

For those of us in high cost areas of the country, yhis sounds incredible. It makes me jealous.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 1:40 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 Dec 2006, 6:17 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 17 Nov 2006, 2:34 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 01 Feb 2006, 5:22 PM
  5. Definitions Definition help - "tandem houses"
    Land Use and Zoning