Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MS historic preservation?

MS historic preservation?

Anyone do an MS in Historic Preservation? What do you do now?

I'm looking into Clemson/College of Charleston program.

I did.

Now, assistant director of a planning department. Liaison to historic review board.

I sometimes feel like the fox that got let into the hen house

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I have a certificate in Historic Preservation and a masters in Urban and Regional Planning. I work as a planner for a decent sized suburb and work on all projects in the Historic District and the surrounding overlay district. I am the HP expert in the office, but we have an outside consultant that deals with the architecture/materials side of HP.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I have a certificate in Historic Preservation and a masters in Urban and Regional Planning. I work as a planner for a decent sized suburb and work on all projects in the Historic District and the surrounding overlay district. I am the HP expert in the office, but we have an outside consultant that deals with the architecture/materials side of HP.
    Interesting. I'm starting to think that in addition to applying to MLA programs, I might try out the Clemson/CofC Historic Preservation Masters, and/or maybe the College of Charleston City/Regional Planning Graduate Certificate. Seeing as how you did a masters in Urban & Regional Planning, and a certificate in Historic Pres. ..what are your thoughts on a cert. in city/regional planning and a masters in Historic Preservation?

If you can't tell, I'm trying hard to end up in Charleston...which is proving to be difficult when it has no MLA program!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Well studying Historic Preservation in Charleston certainly has its advantages

I can't say much about a master's in HP, however, I will say that dual degrees whether it be a certificate and masters in anything complimentary is good when it comes to employment. Historic Preservation is very specialized, but there is a wealth of opportunities that a master's would open doors to. Historic Preservation is also very interdisciplinary by nature, so a Masters would be helpful in understanding architecture, landscapes, materials, spatial relationships and interiors, plus it would give you an advantage in any position in planning or in an allied profession. Finally, study what you love and where you want to, you are the one paying for it! Best of Luck!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by livingproof View post
    Anyone do an MS in Historic Preservation? What do you do now?
    First off, it should be a MA, not a MS; what I do ain't science - it's an art!

I have a MHP degree. My first job after grad school (well, my first real job that utilized my degree, at least) was with the state Department of Transportation as a "Transportation Planner - Historian" - mostly just Section 106 work (PM me if you need an explanation). I'm with my fourth private sector firm since leaving the service of the state, and I've done a little bit of everything in the HP field. Currently, my main client is the Army Reserve - I serve as the "Cultural Resources and Historic Architecture Coordinator" for their installation management command.

A MA/MS/MHP in historic preservation with a certificate in planning would set you up nicely for a lot of opportunities.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Sorry to bring back a thread from the grave.

I'm looking at the Masters in Historic Preservation (at Tulane University) as well (or the MURP program at Univ. of New Orleans). I think I'd be thrilled with either especially as the UNO program has a specialization in historic preservation as well.

My biggest issue is I'd like to know I can stay in New Orleans, I just moved here 2 years ago (Savannah or Charleston are semi ok too but New Orleans is perfect).

I'm a bit older (33), IT Professional, and Senior part time student at Tulane (political science) now finishing my undergrad...so I'm trying to plot out a path for myself.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I have a planning resume, an historic preservation resume, and a community development resume. I have a more general planning masters. Preservation was an emphasis; community development was on the job. It keeps my options open.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 9:57 AM
  2. Preservation Historic preservation
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jan 2007, 11:52 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Aug 2006, 11:10 PM
  4. Historic Preservation, anyone?
    Introduce Yourself