Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Design software helpful for planning jobs?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

Design software helpful for planning jobs?

Hi all!
    I applied to a very competitive master of planning program this year, made the waiting list, but didn't make it in. Now, I'm looking for entry-level jobs in the planning field, especially those more geared towards urban design. I've heard in architecture there is autoCAD and now Revit, which are very useful to know when looking for a job in that area. Is there design software like those that planners/urban designers use as well that I should probably learn to help my chances when looking for a job?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    obviously, it depends on the firm you end up working for, but my recommendations include AutoCAD, Adobe CS Suite, and Sketchup. I'm sure others will make further recommendations, but those are going to be pretty useful/important in searching for jobs in UD.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Photoshop and Illustrator (which are now part of Creative Suite). I would also add familiarity with GIS/GPS. Hand-drawing skills are also extremely important. What is your college degree/previous experience? Most urban design jobs will typically require you to have the required degree/coursework as well as have the skills already in place as part of the job application.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Interesting reponses. I started out in architecture but do very little when it comes to using the software packages suggested above. I do use ArcInfo, but I am no means an exert at it. I use on a daily basis Lotus, Oracle, Visio, and other packages to manage and adminster projects.

Your software tools and skills really need to reflect your job instead of your job reflecting your tools.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Apr 2013, 5:25 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Feb 2013, 3:25 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Jul 2010, 7:31 PM