Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Jane Jacobs

Jane Jacobs

Hi Guys. This is my first post.

Anyways, Some coworkers and I were discussing Jane Jacobs today. And I brought up that one day I saw some air photos of some of the neighbourhoods she has designed in google earth. I was wondering if you guys know any specific neighbourhoods or subdivisions she has done and where shes done them so I could viiew them from google earth. My coworkers are very interested in seeing them And I thought it may be cool to show everyone if I do find a few. So if any of you guys can help me out that would be great. Thanks and Take Care!!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    She designed neighbourhoods? News to me. I thought she just complained a lot.

Registered
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne View post
    She designed neighbourhoods? News to me. I thought she just complained a lot.
    I thought so too (that she was mostly all theory). I agreed with most of her complaints though....if anyone has any real world examples of her built environment (sounds odd), I' d be interested.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    to check the neighbourhood she lived in google earth bathurst and bloor, in toronto then pan over a few blocks to the east and you are in the annex.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Jacobs was a critic; not a developer.

Registered
    May 2008
    What about Jacobs-influenced designs?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think her criticisms were too broad and raised or echoed by too many parties to really point out any one 'design' that was Jacobs inspired. Her personality brought the concerns to a new visibility, but she was neither the first nor the last to raise those concerns publicly.

But you can find the inverse... uhm, things made not to happen that were Jacobs inspired. i.e. Freeway efforts in Toronto and New York.

And my post above: yes, I believe some of her complaints were valid, too.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    I also thought that she had not designed anything. But The Death and Life of Great American Cities (first published in 1961) used Greenwich Village (New York) as the ememplar, not the places in Toronto after she moved there in 1968. So that would be where you would look for a google image of what she was writing about.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Influence of Jane Jacobs
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 08 Nov 2010, 5:07 PM
  2. Architecture and Jane Jacobs
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 30 Jul 2006, 1:44 AM
  3. Jane Jacobs dies - age 89
    Friday Afternoon Club