Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What a way to wake up.

Registered
    Jul 2002

What a way to wake up.

My 19 yo son woke me up a 1 this morning and said "Look outside." The house across the street, 2 door down was on fire - REALLY burning - flames going 30' into the air. The 2 people in the house and their dog got out ok. It appears that the most severe damage was to a wood frame addition in the rear of the house. The main house is brick so it appears to have lesser damage - probably a lot of smoke damage, though. (It's the same design as my house only turned sideways.) The addition contained the kitchen and a game room. Some of the vinyl siding on the neighbor's house (empty) was melted and their garage was severely damaged. (Another reason to hate vinyl siding. That stuff really burns and gives off nasty fumes.) What a way to wake up. My son called 911, but we don't know if he was the first. I've seen a couple of fires in the neighborhood, but this was the worst.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    May 2002
    Wow. That's horrible and impressive. I've woke up after some thunderstorms and found a tree limb blocking my back door and covering my deck, but that's about it.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Vinal is a good fuel and so is the wood it typically covers. I used to be a vol. fireman and mobile homes were the worst. They can really go up in a hurry. I've seen aluminum siding running like water. Thats why I REALLY like masonary construction. You may loose the roof and contents, but not much worry about the neighbors (or neighborhood) going up. In Hungary, and perhaps other parts of Europe, even the interior walls are brick with plaster over them. That really makes a fire resistant structure plus great sound proofing. Adda tile roof and you really have a resistant roof.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 10:05 AM
  2. Time to wake up and roll out of bed
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 8:53 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Oct 2003, 1:13 PM
  4. Wake me up, before you go - go.
    Friday Afternoon Club