Urban planning community

Poll results: I Don't Post in Political Threads Because...

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't care, I just don't care.

3 10.00%
  • I'm right, you're wrong.

5 16.67%
  • You're wrong, I'm right

3 10.00%
  • I don't like conflict.

6 20.00%
  • I have no political opinions.

1 3.33%
  • Too many personal attacks.

12 40.00%
  • It's just a spectator sport for me.

7 23.33%
  • Too much like religious threads.

5 16.67%
  • Too much like my work.

0 0%
  • Too much like my family.

0 0%
  • Personal politics are too personal.

6 20.00%
  • I don't do religious threads either.

7 23.33%
  • Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they generally stink.

7 23.33%
  • Other (Please enlighten us)

8 26.67%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The I Don't Do Political Threads Thread

Registered
    Jul 2006

The I Don't Do Political Threads Thread

I don't participate in political threads, mainly because I find them to be too pedantic, mean-spirited, and prone to personal attacks. I do browse through them though and I'm constantly surprised at the passionate responses to what I often view as insignificant issues. How do the rest of you non-combatants feel about it?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    About the same as you.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I stay out of the political threads.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It is a custom in the Royal Navy among the officers mess that topics related to religion or politics are forbidden to be discussed at the meal table. The probability of some resulting conflict or ill-feeling towards one's colleagues is too high. An important consideration for a group of people who are existing/working together in close quarters and are stuck with each other for months on end.

I try not to participate in political discussion but still manage to forget myself often enough to post once in a while. I estimate I actually post maybe one time for each twenty times the urge strikes.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah....

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    It is a custom in the Royal Navy among the officers mess that topics related to religion or politics are forbidden to be discussed at the meal table. The probability of some resulting conflict or ill-feeling towards one's colleagues is too high. An important consideration for a group of people who are existing/working together in close quarters and are stuck with each other for months on end.

I try not to participate in political discussion but still manage to forget myself often enough to post once in a while. I estimate I actually post maybe one time for each twenty times the urge strikes.
    What he said.....1 in 20......or so......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I do read them. I try to resist joining in. Sometimes I cannot help myself.

I am absolutely amazed at how wrong the rest of you people are about what is best for the USA.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I read them, but normally do not post in them. There's not enough time in the day to craft a response to some of the stuff I read, and besides, there's a saying about arguing on the internet......
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2002
    No matter how much objective evidence you can bring to the table, no matter how foolish you can make someone's position look, you are never likely to sway someone's opinion on political (or religious for that matter) issues via a forum. So, I generally read the political stuff until just about the point where informed opinion turns to defensive jabber.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I always feel that discussion is healthy. Realizing that attacks do nothing and that philosophies differ is key to keeping them civil. A political thread is from the start, something where the participants better be ready to agree to disagree. Fact checking, analysis review, and debunking should be part of the discussion.

I really try to make sure that if I pose questions or responses, they are not read as personal attacks or value attacks, which is so easy to happen via the written word.

I want nothing more than to hear the opposing argument. I feel like a scientist in these arguments. I have a personal belief hypothesis; I want to challenge the hypothesis and poke holes in it wherever possible and try to make it plausible theory (and eventually a personal law). I can't do this without IP, mskis, and other conservatives.

I hope that we all come to the table willing to challenge our beliefs rather than treat our opinions as fact.
    Last edited by boiker; 09 Sep 2008 at 6:14 PM. Reason: spelin' errs
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I find the political threads on Cyburbia to be quite fun and informative. I rarely get to talk to folks with a common interest or profession that have different political views than mine, and Cyburbia gives me that chance. I also know that the mods will make sure that things stay civil (as opposed to some other forums).
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    It depends on the definition of "don't do".
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm in recovery. So much so I didn't even respond to your poll...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    It's pointless. Most posters in these threads (political ones) don't post to learn, they post to pontificate. No one's opinion is going to be swayed. Certainly not mine.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I do read them. I try to resist joining in. Sometimes I cannot help myself.
    what he said. plus they annoy me highly. they often seem like hypocrisy at its finest. it's okay for my group, but not for yours.

gag me.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I was a poly sci major and I hate political threads. If I dont agree with the poster I dont have the energy to put effort into a savvy response
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I learn quite a bit about American politics (and culture) on these threads, but i dont generally have any informative opinion on American politics so i dont say anything.

And if i said anything it would be critical and probably taken the wrong way by everyone, as our (as in Australian) politicals and views are quite different to American ones (i believe anyway from just reading these threads) and i would probably end up in an argument about gun control laws, the right to not have people tell you what you can do to your body, and the fact that we dont take as much active interest in politics (i.e- no one goes to 'conventions- or cares for such things).
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I don't post because I honestly, truly, cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind can be a republican these days.

Don't bother to respond because I am out.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I peruse since I am in the US now but I just keep thinking...

PM Harper just called an election last Sunday and it will all be over with 3 weeks before the US votes. On the other hand, it is the third time in four years...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    For Cyburbia, I think non-planning related posts and topics detract from our efforts to be seen as more relevant to the profession.

Take a random day and pull up the most recent posts and they are more than likely found in the Friday Afternoon Club.

Cyburbia is more of a place where some planners talk about pop culture trivia!

No offense intended here.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u View post
    For Cyburbia, I think non-planning related posts and topics detract from our efforts to be seen as more relevant to the profession.

Take a random day and pull up the most recent posts and they are more than likely found in the Friday Afternoon Club.

Cyburbia is more of a place where some planners talk about pop culture trivia!

No offense intended here.

The mods have discussed this quite a lot. It is the community that is the FAC that make this place unique. We would have very few users and with that, not as big a pool of brains to answer the serious planning issues when they came up. Boring is not good, and it is nice to be able to interact with intelligent folks about issues other than work.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Sometimes I wish I could not do political threads, but then I'm compelled to try to dispel stereotypes and misunderstanding.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Sometimes I wish I could not do political threads, but then I'm compelled to try to dispel stereotypes and misunderstanding.
    and I'm happy that you do it.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    and I'm happy that you do it.
    And I'm glad that you're both so understanding but...could you kiss and make up over in one of the political threads?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I post in political threads because:

- Everyone is entitled to hear how I think

- Everyone needs to know that I am correct.

BTW, I am sick of the elitist and "holier than thou" people who think they are too good to post in political threads. Especially those Wolverine loving Texansthat must advertise this fact by starting threads.

You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    And I'm glad that you're both so understanding but...could you kiss and make up over in one of the political threads?
    hmm, two men kissing? i don't know if that is allowed on political threads. i believe it is only allowed on political threads in Massachusetts and California.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Close All Political Threads?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 07 Nov 2008, 11:13 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Jun 2008, 11:38 AM
  3. The Uncool Threads Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 43