Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help me find an urban studies program (undergrad)!

Registered
    Sep 2008

Help me find an urban studies program (undergrad)!

I'm a senior in high school right now, and I want to go to an Urban Studies program for college. I fell in love with urban studies at a semester program I did my junior year called "CITYterm" which was an experiental learning program located in New York City.

My dream school is Berkeley but I don't have Berkeley grades: A and B student, interesting and varied extracurriculars, summer programs, music, etc. Decent SATs (1970). Still, nowhere near good enough for crazy Berkeley standards! The other thread said something about that program accepting people even if they might not look great on paper. I hope it's true. I think I'm one of a small handful of kids in the country that actually have classes like Honors Urban Planning on their transcripts, and I'm taking other classes that I think would help like AP Human Geography. However, I know that the acceptance rate is somewhere near 24%. Eep!

I really want to be in the bay area. If I don't get in to Berkeley I am considering SFSU. Does anyone know about the program? And I know this is probably frowned upon, but could I transfer after two years to Berkeley?

If you know anything about either program please tell me! Class size, teachers, the school itself, location, what you are doing now....

thank you!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by urbanbay View post
    My dream school is Berkeley but I don't have Berkeley grades: A and B student, interesting and varied extracurriculars, summer programs, music, etc.
    1, you've got 4 years to get "Berkeley grades", although there are accredited undergrad planning programs, most are graduate, and none of them care a thing about what you did in high school good or bad.

2. if you want to go to a school, apply. I was accepted in Berkeley as an undergrad with a 2.6 GPA, although there were some mitigating factors. point is, if you are as interesting and active as you say, there is no reason not to apply. Do you think everyone there got 4.0's and perfect SAT scores? Probably not. If you go to SFSU, I suspect that the $100 application fee just to avoid the "would I have gotten in?" question in your head would be worth it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Sep 2012, 9:51 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Jan 2011, 7:56 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Mar 2009, 2:39 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 3:08 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Mar 1998, 10:36 PM