Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Alternative internship ideas (urban planning undergrad)?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006

Alternative internship ideas (urban planning undergrad)?

What other kinds of internships can an undergraduate urban planning student seek? What I mean is, internships that aren't exclusively through a particular city of private planning company...if that makes sense. For instance, a neighbor was telling me that I should check out SRP for internships (this is in the Phoenix metropolitan area). Does SRP accept internships?

Any other ideas? And I've been having trouble finding an internship, got any tips?

Thank you (and sorry I don't post here more often)

Registered
    Jan 2006
    If you are having a hard time and are willing to work for free, you could seek out neighborhood groups or special interest groups and tell them you would like to help them out. It will take a little leg work on your end to identify the groups and the contacts for the groups, but could end up being a really good experience.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Why are you against interning for public or private sector positions? Or is it because they are scarse?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    NO agency will turn down free help. If you can afford (and think of the experience as your payment) to take an unpaid internship, do it! While you may not do tons of planning-related things right away, just getting experience in how to interact in an office and with the public will help you. Knowing who controls what (city council versus planning boards) will help you immensely.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Aug 2011, 9:32 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Jan 2011, 12:28 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Nov 2009, 8:15 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Mar 2009, 2:39 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 05 Feb 2009, 2:37 PM