Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Thoughts on my chances for top ranked grad school

Registered
    Sep 2008

Thoughts on my chances for top ranked grad school

I will get straight to the point. I am currently looking into and about to apply to graduate programs. I will be graduatinig in May 2009 with a BA in Political Science with a Econ minor. I have my hopes set on the University of Michigan's PhD political Science Program. I am choosing their program because of an excellent faculty that caters to my interests (Political Parties, campaigns and elections, interest group politics). Here is a brief overlook at me...

GPA: 3.93/4.0
    Honors and Activities
    -Undergraduate Student Government Senator
    -Dept of Political Science Ambassador
    -Department of Human Services Internship
    -Internship in Illinois State capital with a Lobbying firm (catering to my interest group politics interest)
    -An honors fraternity and the National Scholars Honor Society
    -awarded "Most distinguished Junior in the Department"
    -Hopefully graduating as one of the Top 25 most distinguished Seniors at the University

I am graduating from a pretty good research institution, Southern Illinois University. I am afraid that such an unknown institution will limit my probabilty of being admitited even though we had a student get in last year.

Tell me what you think and I appreciate your input

P.S.: U.S. News ranked University of Michigan as the No. 1 Grad school in American Politics.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    What I think?

Call the admissions department, ask the secretary. Usually they have a pretty good bead on who gets accepted and who doesn't. Broach the subject indirectly and act genuinely concerned. Do you have to take any exams to get in? Your score on those will probably determine something.

Have a good personal statement and some good letters of rec.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    and what does this have to do with planning?
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    I always though Southern Illinois was a pretty well-known, pretty well-regarded school. What am I missing? And how is this connected to planning? I'm confused.

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by taylort View post
    I will get straight to the point. I am currently looking into and about to apply to graduate programs. I will be graduatinig in May 2009 with a BA in Political Science with a Econ minor. I have my hopes set on the University of Michigan's PhD political Science Program..
    My thoughts are that you mistakenly posted to this board, thinking it was a PoliSci forum.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 May 2012, 11:59 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 3:31 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 May 2009, 12:24 AM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last post: 11 Dec 2008, 5:35 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last post: 04 Feb 2005, 8:52 AM