Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I want to do site design in the urban settings

I want to do site design in the urban settings

I have ruled out studying urban planning as a means of doing this. Should I work towards a Bachelor of Architecture or a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture?

B.Arch or B.LandArch?

I would like to design parks and public places. I have ruled out studying urban planning as a means of doing this. Should I work towards a Bachelor of Architecture or a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture? I have heard and researched that an architect can do what a landscape architect can do but the opposite is not true.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Can you be a little more descriptive? What exactly do you want to design?

I would like to design parks and public places in cities. My dream would be to design another Central Park. For these reasons I want to be a landscape architect. However, after all my research, it seems that the architect has much more authority when it comes to designing urban landscapes than the landscape architect. I would do a bachelor of landscape architecture but i get the feeling that landscape architects don't design landscapes anymore but just do plantings.

Moderator note:
    (Gedunker) Our rules prohibit cross-posting threads. Select the most appropriate sub-forum for your thread topic and post it in that sub-forum and only that sub-forum. If you are unsure which sub-forum is most appropriate, feel free to contact an administrator or moderator and we'll be happy to assist you. Thread moved from Design Space and Place, merged with thread from Environmental Planning, and relocated here to the Student Lounge. Thanks and carry on!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 16 Sep 2008 at 3:27 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Architecture offers more flexibility than landscape architecture. However, most of the LAs I work with have commented that architects know little to nothing regarding traffic circulation, grading, irrigation, site design, and plant material. Landscpe architecture is much more than just plantings, and there are plenty of LAs who do nothing whatsoever with plants (some of these people might focus on lighting, pavers, playground design, etc.).

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos039.htm
    Last edited by nrschmid; 16 Sep 2008 at 4:48 PM.

Would you say that architects can do everything that landscape architects can do... especially if they happen to understand grading, irrigation, site design, and plant materials?

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Would you say that architects can do everything that landscape architects can do... especially if they happen to understand grading, irrigation, site design, and plant materials?
    I would say no as landscape architects are taught with the bigger picture, "landscape", in mind. I went to a school that focused purely on theroy in
    the context of a regional perspective. It was only when I started working did I get much more site detailed.

If you want to design parks and open space get a degree in landscape architecture. Also just due to the nature of the biz most landscape architects are not ego driven while a lot of arch's, while not all, are much more ego-ccentric.

just my thoughts
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I find at my office that the landscape architects are very well rounded folks when it comes to design and can dable in everything from building placement, urban space placemaking, and planning. The architects at our office strictly deal with the building design and plans, and that's about it. The heavily rely on the landscape architects to help articulate parking lots, plazas and other people space as well as basic planning questions.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Jul 2008, 5:13 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 Apr 2008, 12:05 AM
  3. Site ideas for design thesis
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Aug 2007, 10:07 AM
  4. Replies: 10