Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Masters architecture/real estate development

Registered
    Sep 2008

Masters architecture/real estate development

I'm looking to pursue a career as a developer who has significant architectural design control. I'm having a hard time finding programs that combine the two areas of study. Any thoughts on where to look? It seems that architects that become developers is a trend that is growing in popularity, but the two still seem to be somewhat segregated in the academic world.

Thanks,
    large

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    I was in a similar situation last year - I applied to planning programs, but I was also interested in tacking on some real estate development so I'd have more options after earning my degree. One option would be to look at real estate programs that are housed within a school of architecture - Columbia's GSAPP is the first that comes to mind. Or you could pursue a dual degree in architecture + real estate devlpt and gain real expertise in both realms.

If you're committed to an architecture degree, why not enroll in an archi program and try to land a part-time internship with a real estate development company? My problem was solved when I landed a job with a devlpt company while I was applying to planning programs, so I decided to defer graduate school another year to gain experience. I lucked out getting a swell position with little experience, and there's an incredibly level of transparency at my firm owing to its small size, but I'm more than confident that what I'll learn over this year and a half on the job will match or exceed what I would have learned in a year-long RE devlpt program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Similar situation. Graduated Syracuse SOA in 07 and having been working in the field of architecture since 03.

I am applying to Columbia 09 MS RED program.

I enjoy architecture, however searching for something more business oriented. Also, going for a Masters in Architecture will not help your career financially. As you may know, those with a masters degree could have equal or even lower pay than those with a bachelors. Yes, for all you non-architects reading this, it could be a suprise, but is true... Granted, you are more marketable and could be more selective in a job hunt after graduating from a Arch Masters, but the reward in pay is simply not there...

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, riotproofcity. You guys hiring?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Have any of you designers considered just starting a business or making partner in a firm?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    typically requires 20 years exp. to make partner... sometimes even grinding out the time ONE firm!

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Any thoughts on Clemson's MRED program? Seems to be a pretty inclusive program.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    jaruss01, have you had a chance to visit Columbia yet? Just curious...seems like a great program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by jaruss01 View post
    typically requires 20 years exp. to make partner... sometimes even grinding out the time ONE firm!
    Depends on the firm you are at. I know a couple of architects at some firms who have made partner after 7-10. Both of them say its a matter of what your bring to the table: efficiency, contacts, and being at the right firm at the right time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    as a native new yorker, i have strolled through the campus. search recent threads on this forum, and there is a more specific discussion about the GSAPP classes on campus

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. NYU masters in real estate
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 12:18 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 5:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Sep 2008, 9:10 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 02 Mar 2006, 1:52 PM