Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Conserving Bandwidth Usage

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008

Conserving Bandwidth Usage

I have a question... a big question:

What can Cyburbians do to conserve bandwidth usage?

Here's a 'for instance':

In short posts, there's much whitespace between the text and the bottom of the post.
    No doubt WAN- and/or other optimization techniques efficiently 'eliminate' it...

But would Cyburbia be charged less if I didn't use an avatar? (Much less whitespace.)

If so, I won't use one. (It's not that important to see a redhaired dog with reading glasses.)

Another 'for instance':

The smileys are hosted by Cyburbia; every time a smiley is used, Cyburbia is charged for bandwidth, no?
    Should I start hosting my smileys with my (very reliable) Photobucket?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    We've got a terabyte (1000 GB) a month that we can use. Don't worry about little things like your avatar. Relatively simple graphics and avatar filesize restrictions already make pages on the Cyburbia Forums less bloated than on many other message boards. Cyburbia's smiles are a wee bit bigger filesize-wise than the vBulletin stock smilies -- maybe 100 to 200 bytes -- but most other graphics such as buttons are smaller than vBulletin stock. For example:

Our reply button: 61X22, 1152 bytes

vBulletin stock reply button: 110x26, 3226 bytes

When the site slows down, it's usually due to a heavy load on the server; either something processor-intensive is taking place in the background such as log analysis, or there's bots of some sort hitting the site.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY's avatar
    Registered
    May 2008
    Thank you, Dan, for taking the time to provide that useful information. I'm sure that over time, a great many Cyburbians and guests will appreciate it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Profanity and its usage
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 05 Mar 2014, 6:21 PM
  2. Tobacco Usage
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 22 Oct 2010, 3:44 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Oct 2006, 6:11 PM