Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 - Tropical Storm Thread [split from neverending weather]

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

2008 - Tropical Storm Thread [split from neverending weather]

Mom lives in Zone A evaciation zone in Pinellas. I called her yesterday and told her to get in her car and drive up to see us (and avoid Fay). She said she had already made plans to head to her friends house and ride it out there if needed. She's been through a few storms, but I really wish she'd just leave.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG went to Publix this morning and stocked up in the event Fay makes a left turn at the last minute (the current forecast isn't calling for that to happen--she's going straight up the peninsula).
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 18 Aug 2008 at 5:53 PM. Reason: left, right, whatever

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Now Fay is forecast to head west as a tropical depression in a couple of days. We just received a briefing paper from the emergency manager's office that southern Georgia and north Florida could have up to 20-inches of rain from this thing.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm kind of worried what the weather is going to bring to the Charleston, SC area on Monday & Tuesday next week. We will be celebrating the resident teenager's 15th birthday at the Wild Dunes Resort at Isle of Palms.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I'm kind of worried what the weather is going to bring to the Charleston, SC area on Monday & Tuesday next week. We will be celebrating the resident teenager's 15th birthday at the Wild Dunes Resort at Isle of Palms.
    You'll be fine; on the projected path, Fay will be west of the FL panhandle by Sunday. It'll be a bad weather weekend for us; time to rent some movies down here.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    You'll be fine; on the projected path, Fay will be west of the FL panhandle by Sunday. It'll be a bad weather weekend for us; time to rent some movies down here.
    Looks like 30-40% of t-storms but knowing how weather forecasts can change in a minute down there I'm crossing my fingers that all will be well.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My recalcitrant kid and I actually had a nice discussion this evening about when public managers have to make difficult weather decisions. With Fay maybe coming here.... when my kid was little tyke we had a Cat 5 headed straight across the Atlantic towards central FL. After much angst, the Planning Manager cancelled that night's Planning and Zoning Commission meeting. The hurricane made a last-minute 90 d turn to the north and we didn't get a drop of rain. The Planning Manager was totally castigated by the County Commission. WTF?

I was just totally ticked that we all had to stay at work until 5 that day. No chance to evac and get out of the area. The a$$holes did it again when storms hit in '04. They cancelled their County Commission meetings but made all the employees work every day until 5. Oh wait, that went back until 9/11; they cancelled their meeting that day, too. Talk about nerveless "leaders".

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Tallahasse is in the way of Fay...I figure I will have to spend Sunday with a chainsaw in hand. Let me check my storm preparedness list....

Wild Turkey and Coke Zero...check
    Romantic Candels......check
    Batteries........check
    A good book in case of no power.....check

I am prepared.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Central Fl Fay: reports are, LadyBuc's street is flooded; hallways and elevator shaft flooded in the building TN, sc, and I worked in together. The storm is moving here at about 5 mph; with a distance of 300 miles, just how long will that take?? (I'm so bad at math!).

Our lot has some elevation with a conservation (creek) are behind us. I'm moving my car up to the street tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Maybe we should break some of these posts off and start a 2008 - Tropical Cyclone season thread (please, just don't term it "neverending").

What say you Mods?
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 21 Aug 2008 at 9:25 PM. Reason: Fay is not a hurricane, thus cyclone season

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Maybe we should break some of these posts off and start a 2008 - Tropical Cyclone season thread (please, just don't term it "neverending").

What say you Mods?
    I'll support you on that but I vote to call it the 2008 - Tropical Depression Season. Maybe subtitled Why won't this damn storm RJ?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    At 9:00 this morning, our county declared a state of emergency. Go away, Fay.

What say you Mods?
    Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker~ Consider it done.

Fay is certainly unique to my memory -- anybody else recall a storm basically stalling like this and for this duration?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2002

Fay

Has Fay Dunaway with Florida?
    (OK, I'll go now)
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Fay really wreaked havoc with flooding in Ft. Pierce, FL. At least that's what my former neighbor told me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Fay really wreaked havoc with flooding in Ft. Pierce, FL. At least that's what my former neighbor told me.
    Jacksonville is also getting its ass kicked.

I blew out of work a little early today to get home and secure some outdoor items. Turns out, ZG had it mostly stowed away with the exception of the basketball stand. I lowered that very quickly. Unfortunately, the stand landed on my left shoulder. I might be the first storm related injury in the county.

Not much rain to this point and only a light breeze. But it's slooowly making its way here.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAW
    Off-topic:
    the basketball stand. I lowered that very quickly. Unfortunately, the stand landed on my left shoulder.
    Always an excuse for not playing/losing to Teh Bear in basketball ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Looks like it just started hitting you, RJ.

Take care. We are all thinking about you!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Several of my friends and family in various parts of Florida (Jax, Gainesville, Orlando) have told me that they have had a ton of rain, 8-10 inches! Retention ponds, creeks, and rivers overflowing and tornadoes nearby, its not too fun out there.

Another advisory going out to Floridians...watch out for swimming alligators!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker~ Consider it done.

Fay is certainly unique to my memory -- anybody else recall a storm basically stalling like this and for this duration?
    Elena in '85:

http://www2.sptimes.com/weather/HG.4.html

"For three days over the 1985 Labor Day weekend, Hurricane Elena stalled off the coast of West Central Florida and held it a virtual hostage. More than 300,000 residents fled their homes, the largest peace-time evacuation in U.S. history. "

I lived in Hernando County at the time, 2 counties north of Tampa, and it swirled off our coast the whole 3 days; tons of rain. It had been headed due north in the Gulf, made a 90 d. turn towards us, sat for days, then looped around and went off to Mississippi. That was the weekend of my 10th h.s. reunion in Orlando, which was cancelled, since the projected path was across Hernando and straight towards Orlando.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    RJ, ZG Looks like the eye is right on you now! It is really moving slow. Are you guys ready?
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    RJ, ZG Looks like the eye is right on you now! It is really moving slow. Are you guys ready?
    You're right, hun. We've been in the eye for over an hour. It's just started raining again and the real nasty stuff is coming our way. Looks like my golf game will be rained out tomorrow.

I'm sure the folks in the Tallahassee area can tell us about the nasty stuff they're going through.

Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Elena in '85:

http://www2.sptimes.com/weather/HG.4.html

"For three days over the 1985 Labor Day weekend, Hurricane Elena stalled off the coast of West Central Florida and held it a virtual hostage. More than 300,000 residents fled their homes, the largest peace-time evacuation in U.S. history. "

I lived in Hernando County at the time, 2 counties north of Tampa, and it swirled off our coast the whole 3 days; tons of rain. It had been headed due north in the Gulf, made a 90 d. turn towards us, sat for days, then looped around and went off to Mississippi. That was the weekend of my 10th h.s. reunion in Orlando, which was cancelled, since the projected path was across Hernando and straight towards Orlando.
    I knew we chose a memorable name for my daughter... It has been retired from the hurricane name list, btw.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This storm is so unpredictable. We expected horrendous rain hours ago. RJ said there was some heavy rain and a bit of wind well before dawn (which, of course, I slept thru...), but other than that, just a couple of little drizzles. I looked at the satellite history of the storm and it looks like the whole southwest part of the storm fell apart about the time the eye reached us this morning. The eye moved on, but the rain bands seem to be stalled to our east. We have no idea now, what to expect.

On the weather channel, they are showing rainfall amounts of 18" east of Tallahassee, and big flooding on the coast south of there. Yikes!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We'll know more in about 5 minutes with the next NHC bulletin, but Fay is northeast of Pensacola with tropical storm warnings extend back to the Suwanee River. The freaking storm is still big.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3822
    Last post: 18 Aug 2014, 5:32 PM
  2. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 7:07 AM
  3. Replies: 14