Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: California job market

Registered
    Feb 2008

California job market

Hi. I'm a senior Planning Major at Sonoma State University and I was wondering what is the job market like in the US and in California specifically. I really wanted to work for a few years before getting my masters but I think I might need to change my plans to due the economy. I just keep hearing about more and more layoffs throughout the state and I'm concerned I'll be wasting my time trying to compete with people with a masters and experience. I wouldn't mind going to grad school if that is the best option. I'm just curious if the job market in California is really bad at the moment or if it is just being hyped up. Thanks

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Just graduated with a masters and a majority of my graduating class members are still looking for jobs...and we graduated in June. Go to school.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    This is different than what others may tell you, but a Graduate Degree should really be for those people who have a deep interest in a subject and not a simple way to "put off the future". Not saying you don't have a deeper interest in planning, but I've heard this same question from many of my peers, half of whom don't even like planning that much.

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by razgriz View post
    Hi. I'm a senior Planning Major at Sonoma State University and I was wondering what is the job market like in the US and in California specifically. I really wanted to work for a few years before getting my masters but I think I might need to change my plans to due the economy. I just keep hearing about more and more layoffs throughout the state and I'm concerned I'll be wasting my time trying to compete with people with a masters and experience. I wouldn't mind going to grad school if that is the best option. I'm just curious if the job market in California is really bad at the moment or if it is just being hyped up. Thanks
    I'm with Paiste. You don't even know if you like the planning profession, and you want to go to grad school for more?!? Grad school is to learn more about something you care about so you can do a better job at it than the typical person.

Everyone knows what's up with this economy. A different job to pay the bills is not a bad thing.

Registered
    Feb 2008
    Sorry if I was unclear. I really love planning and want to make a career out of it. The reason I was looking into getting a job straight out of college was because I'm really interested in getting out of the classroom and into the real world. If I can't practice planning straight out of college then my second option would be to work on my masters. I'm just trying to get a feel for the job market so I can make an informed decision. Thanks for the responses.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Hey razgriz,
    Glad to hear you want to make a career out of planning. 5 years in i have found it pretty fulfilling. Unfortunately due to our economic conditions in the state because of the housing crash, state budget cuts, and local governments trimming budgets, the first jobs to get the ax in both the private and public sector have been entry level jobs. If you check out http://www.calapa.org you will notice that there are planning positions available, they just require experience and usually they are mid-level positions (to which thankfully i qualify for now because now my job security is questioned due to the lack of work at my private firm).

Not to say that there aren't jobs out there at the entry level, because there are, but they are few and far between. Try looking for a planning tech job, which you are highly qualified for. It may be part-time, but it gives you the experience that the next level is looking for. The entry level positions will be highly competitive and you will be competing with not only newly minted grads, but other planners who might have gotten pink slips over the past 6 months or so, and trust me, it is a lot from the private side. It may seem like downer of news but hone in on your interview skills and have a polished resume and cover letter to just compete in the market.

You have other options to look for a related job in another field or go to school. If i were in your position, i would just go to grad school. A master's gives you a leg up on a guy like me with just a bachelors degree, and when you seek the entry level position that is defiantly a plus which helps you move to the top. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How is the job market in NYC
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Jun 2009, 9:51 AM
  2. Market research
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Feb 2009, 8:21 PM
  3. Market Analysis
    Economic and Community Development