Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Federal government community planner

Registered
    Jun 2008

Federal government community planner

Has anyone ever held one of these Community Planner positions with the Fed?

As a professional, serves as a supervisor providing direction, organization, and control over assigned employees Communicates and coordinates environmental issues with higher headquarters, regulatory agencies, other installation units, community officials, etc Plans and directs the development and execution of the environmental budget, and preparation of planning, programming, and budgeting system (PPBS) documentation in support of environmental planning Assigns work to subordinates based on priorities, difficulty of assignments, and the capabilities of employees, develops performance standards and rates employees, interviews candidates for subordinate positions, recommends, hiring, promotion or reassignments, takes disciplinary measures, such as warnings and reprimands, identifies developmental and training needs of employees, and provides and/or arranges for needed development and training Provides a work environment that is free from all forms of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation Addresses subordinate¿s concerns, whether perceived or real, and follows up with appropriate action to correct or eliminate tension in the workplace Supports the agency's EEO program.

OR

Performs professional community planning work in a developmental capacity in support of an Air Force installation. Acquires competencies of the community planning occupation to design, develop, evaluate, manage, and implement component plans of the Base Comprehensive Plan (BCP), including area development and site plans, environmental studies and assessments, and economic analysis. Utilizes Geographic Information System (GIS) and Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) software and project tracking programs in the development of comprehensive planning products.

There's nearly 100 of them but most, if not all, are on air force bases. Are these nightmare jobs? How much urban planning does one do?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I would think that such a position would involve much "try to look busy" time. Harking back to me own Planning Tech first job, arrrr.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    don't apply for these if you're in a hurry to get a job. the process for filling those positions is incredibly slow. and not to be nitpicky, but this is a military planning job, not a federal planning job. there's quite a difference.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I have a friend who had such a position. He was soon frustrated by how slowly things moved and how much red-tape was involved. He is a very active go-getter and waiting for his superiors to go through channels to get an okay on things we planners think is SOP drove him nuts.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I have a friend who had such a position. He was soon frustrated by how slowly things moved and how much red-tape was involved. He is a very active go-getter and waiting for his superiors to go through channels to get an okay on things we planners think is SOP drove him nuts.
    I can't speak to how much urban planning one would do in the jobs cited in the original post, but I can vouch for the red tape, slow pace, and waiting on an OK to work its way through channels. My current gig is as a contractor working in support of the installation management headquarters for one of the armed services (cultural resources/historic architecture coordinator). To say that things move slowly is an understatement, and the hoops that you have to jump through are, at times, insane. Nonetheless, it is (at least to me) an enjoyable job. I'm not sure how it would be to be tied to one installation, but since I'm headquarters, if I run into a wall on one project, I have plenty of other things I can pick up. I just have to stay patient with the bureaucratic delays and flexible with my scheduling.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by The District View post
    don't apply for these if you're in a hurry to get a job. the process for filling those positions is incredibly slow. and not to be nitpicky, but this is a military planning job, not a federal planning job. there's quite a difference.
    You can say that again. I've been applying for federal jobs since before May, and even from the ones that have sent me letters telling me I was getting passed on to the hiring manager, haven't heard anything since. I guess there is a hiring freeze until after October though, so if anyone has applied for some, maybe you will hear after then. That goes for census positions too.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally posted by The District View post
    Yeah, I was thinking the job would primarily be military planning, something I'm not all that interested in.

I always here reports about the Fed and state governments losing a lot of workers due to retirement and how they are worried they won't be able to fill them. Guess that doesn't apply to our field, eh?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Federal government jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 14 Mar 2011, 11:45 AM
  2. Federal government jobs - Navy community planner
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 May 2010, 4:27 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 9:34 PM