Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Software for designing maps [was: Just designing maps]

Registered
    Sep 2008

Software for designing maps [was: Just designing maps]

^.^

I am a simple person here... I simply want to find some software that allows me to draw maps, with streets, buildings, parks, land features, and other such things.

ArcGIS looks like it might work, except it also appears to be horribly expensive. Since I am an individual, I don't think ArcGIS will work for me. What are some other options?

Thanks much,

John B.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A GIS will give you a few advantages, such as the availability of map layers and the ability to create maps that are usually very accurate. Then there are all of the analytical functions. If you are a non-profit or government, it may be possible to acquire software through ESRI's grant program. If not, there are some free GIS programs, alhtough I can't recommend any. Mayboe others here can.

I will still use Adobe Illustrator or Corel Graphics Suite to create some maps. These tend to be ones where accuracy is less important than illustrative quality. A map created in GIS or a digital aerial image may serve as the base. Peronally, I prefer to use Corel since I like its ability to work in both vector and raster.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I will still use Adobe Illustrator or Corel Graphics Suite to create some maps. These tend to be ones where accuracy is less important than illustrative quality. A map created in GIS or a digital aerial image may serve as the base.
    Agreed. If you are, in fact, "drawing" maps and not using existing GIS data, Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop (both, not one or the other, IMO [see Cardinal's comment about raster & vector]) will probably be better for you than ArcGIS.

Or, if you are really on the cheap, Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) is not a bad piece of kit (and is free).

BANNED
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by lunahq7 View post
    ^.^

I am a simple person here... I simply want to find some software that allows me to draw maps, with streets, buildings, parks, land features, and other such things.

ArcGIS looks like it might work, except it also appears to be horribly expensive. Since I am an individual, I don't think ArcGIS will work for me. What are some other options?

Thanks much,

John B.
    Try googling for Quantum GIS or GRASS, though i wont recommend GRASS as it is hard to understand nd stll harder to get it run.

If you want to edit and update the features and save it into shapefiles(widely used GIS extension )

Anymore inf, i wuold be ready to help u

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning and designing for cold climates
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Jan 2011, 10:58 AM
  2. Designing an RV/campground
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Jul 2006, 1:36 PM
  3. Designing for happiness