Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Lost Mementos

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Lost Mementos

I felt bad for fellow-Cyburbian RJ, when he looked for ticket stubs from sporting events that he had saved and he came to the realization that they were long gone. I related, in a sad sort of way.....

This Bear has certainly gone through a fair number of relationships. Each of those relationships had mementos that I cherished. Many of those mementos are, like RJs ducats, gone. And as years fly by, memories merge and faces and events morph into a sort of fuzzy collage. That mind picture is often in focus if you hold a tangible item.....a sports ticket, a concert stub, a ring, that special record album, a photo. But panic can set-in as you rummage through an old cigar box or shake out the items that were in the jar you kept the rings in or you sweep through the collection of exchanged photos......and the tangible evidence of another time, another place, another love......is gone.

And the mementos could be from family, friends, your first real job......it doesn't have to be strictly from significant-other relationships. Lost mementos.....if thought about, if dwelled upon.....can hurt.

Army Identification Card, Draft Card
    My first job, at age 13, was on a U.S. Army Ordnance Depot base. My father was the provider of food for the large Rossford Ordnance Depot (inner-ring suburb of Toledo). He ran three cafeterias and 12 lunch stands. At age 13, I worked for him during a couple summer vacations. To get on the base I had to be finger-printed and was issued an identification card, complete with picture. It was too cool! And it is gone. Tell your kids to SAVE the cool items from their younger days.

My draft card is long gone, too. During the 1960s, those little puppies were required gear. I din't burn mine......but it is gone.

Jennifer's Picture
    My first true love was Jennifer. I cherished her high school picture that I kept in my wallet. Because it was the 1960s and teenagers having children was not like our "Juno" days, Jennifer went away to have our son.....a son I never saw. Our relationship ended soon after and I held tight to the high school picture......but not tight enough.....it is gone. (Obviously the memories are not. )

Tickets
    There was a time when I threw my concert ticket stubs into an old cigar box. I had quite a collection.....James Gang, Chicago, Vanilla Fudge, Beach Boys, etc......that box and all the stubs.....gone.

I don't remember saving any sporting event tickets. I was a regular at Detroit Tiger games at that great park, Tiger Stadium. Even saw Ted Williams hit a home run. But didn't save the ducats. Some of the sig others in my life were ticket savers, though. Katie is.

The Stoopid Round Pillow
    I have some cloudy memories of hanging on to this silly, round pillow. I think it had a face or, at the least, eyes stitched on to its' surface. I was about 5 years old and always had to have it with me. What a dork.

The Radios
    I had a really cool transistor radio. It had a plastic body but the unit was covered with a leather coat that snapped on to it. Transistor radios were just starting to be common.....I was a young boy with a cool transistor radio.....I was gold. At least until I set it on my older brother's Ford station wagon while I wandered off to play baseball. You know what happened.....gone.

I also built a crystal radio from a kit. To power the radio you woulde attach the alligator clip to something metal. I have great memories of that simple device giving me hours of ".....I can barely hear it....." pleasure. Now gone.

Rings, Earings
    Back to relationships.....I still have the rings from previous marriages. The rings were nothing special (from a price point view).....mmmmm, maybe a message there somewhere.....

I still have my high school ring. Somewhere in the flotsom of lost years I have managed to save the rings.

Every earing that I have owned is gone or will be soon. I am horrible with earings, but they have no symbolic meaning to me, anyhooo.

Music
    I have lost some great albums. And 45 RPM records. Almost all are the victims of what I refer to as: "They went away on the bus." I managed to purchase replacements, via CDs that have been reissued. Not the same, though, as the albums that had writing on the cover.....writing on the cover from any number of past loves who have moved on down the road.

No doubt.....taking the bus.

_____

Any mementos from your life that have "taken the bus"? What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My ex- took my Mom's matchbook collection, dating back to the '30's. Famous clubs in NY, Miami, etc. That hurt. And a bunch of my '60's memorabilia in a little wooden box (along with some vintage rolling papers....). Thus the term Dickhead.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My high school year book from my senior year with all the clippings my mom cut from the local newspaper describing my superhuman exploits in basketball and baseball.

All my LP records. You remember, youngins? they measured about a foot wide and had a small hole in the center? Ya put them on this thingie called a "turntable" and it played great sound.

Lots of pictures of my sons as they grew up.

Tools. Do I need to explain further? Tools.

I spit on you....

Not everything would fit in the truck.

All gone to a farking landfill in north Idaho!!!

OK, I'm fine now...sipping red wine...I'm in a better situation.

EDIT: Found my HS class ring. It still fits.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    All my LP records. You remember, youngins? they measured about a foot wide and had a small hole in the center? Ya put them on this thingie called a "turntable" and it played great sound.
    Yeah, until you started moving about the room, then it was, "ssccccccccccrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    ...Jennifer went away to have our son.....a son I never saw.
    Seriously consider tracking him down. It's much easier these days, using the 'net. He may be yearning to become acquainted with his biological father.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Never had much stuff to begin with so that it would fit in the car everytime I moved over a 10 + yr period.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Never had much stuff to begin with so that it would fit in the car everytime I moved over a 10 + yr period.
    I hear ya. Except I rent a U-Haul van. I call the gang and say, "Let's get loaded."

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am not really the sentimental type so apart from my photos (in process of digitizing all of them) and my books, I really don't hang on to anything. I have a couple of things of my mother's that I keep but mostly because they were meaningful to her.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The ZG and I bought some picture frames at Kohls yesterday. I started to rummage through my pictures this afternoon--turns out I'll need more frames. Why do cute children get so damn homely when they age? It's difficult to post an even numbers of pics of each of the kids. Some tears in my eyes as I looked at those old pictures.

So many of the pictures are in the landfill. My thanks to my mom and sister for filling in the blanks.

Life sucks sometimes, you know?
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 21 Sep 2008 at 6:29 PM. Reason: none of your business

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Life sucks sometimes, you know?
    yep don't it now.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Lost job description
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Feb 2012, 8:46 AM
  2. Lost
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 23 Jun 2005, 5:56 PM
  3. AIB Lost - Kept