Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gaining Experience

Registered
    Feb 2004

Gaining Experience

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Barber College Random.....Years ago downtown Toledo had a barber college. That was where my Dad took us for a buzz cut. The cuts were cheap and it was almost akin to an assembly line.....there were about a dozen barber chairs. Of course, when you are a somewhat pudgy lad in the 1950s you really don't care about your haircut....."butch" was the style.
    An idea worthy of its own thread.

Yes, I too got my hair cut several times at a cosmetology school. It was dirt cheap and when it comes to haircuts I'm not too particular and am only too happy to give someone starting out the opportunity to help learn their trade. We also have a dental hygenist program at the local community college and I have considered getting my teeth cleaned there (except I've got great dental coverage and can get them cleaned for nothing almost anywhere in town). I'm not sure, though, I could say the same if I was going in for brain surgery or needed some complex legal documents drafted.

We generally want someone with experience to provide various services for us, yet not many folks want to be the 'first' customer when it comes to complicated or important services.

How about you, are you willing to be a doctor's first patient or a lawyer's first client?

What services would you be willing to hire a rookie for and what things would you not? (and how the heck are folks ever supposed to get experience if no one wants a rookie?)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'll let a rookie serve me coffee or ring up my sale in a store.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    I'll let a rookie serve me coffee or ring up my sale in a store.
    I'm generally not a very patient person and there have been a few instances where I've wound up waiting in line at a store FOREVER while a rookie was working the register. I have bad 'line karma' as it is and if I'm in line where a rookie is working a register it never fails that the people in front of me want to do a return on some item that they purchased at a different store in the chain and have a coupon that expired yesterday to purchase an item with three different price tags on it and want to buy cold medicine and cigarettes with food stamps.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm generally not a very patient person and there have been a few instances where I've wound up waiting in line at a store FOREVER while a rookie was working the register. I have bad 'line karma' as it is and if I'm in line where a rookie is working a register it never fails that the people in front of me want to do a return on some item that they purchased at a different store in the chain and have a coupon that expired yesterday to purchase an item with three different price tags on it and want to buy cold medicine and cigarettes with food stamps.
    Then I'm the one you're behind. I'm the one to point out a defect on an item to get an additional 10% knocked off and will have about 3 coupons for another item that happens to be on sale. Checkout haggling works best with a rookie because they'll give you almost anything to get you out of their line.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I used to go to the hairstylist school when I was growing up. Usually they did a good job.

My daughter was delivered by a new resident physician and she was great. Stayed with me the whole time which is a rarity.

I always will give a new cashier a chance and try to be encouraging.

Had my dental exam/cleaning done at the dental school with very nice results (lack of insurance).

My primary care is through the university clinic which often has interns and residents shadowing the regular doctors.

Most of us had to start somewhere.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004

Rookies Go Home!

Two words: Oil. Change.

If you want it done right then do it yourself.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Meat-Cutting College

Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s, this Bear and first wife, Cynthia, were regular shoppers at a downtown Toledo meat market.....I think the name was Kurtz Meat Market. That rather large facility was also the home of a meat-cutting college (aka "butcher school"). There were many good deals, the chow was good, the experience fighting the Saturday morning crowds was somewhat unique.

I had forgot all about that place until Maister started this thread. I think I will do some googling to see if anybody who hits the web ever posted anything about it.

Did you notice, BTW?......downtown shopping.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Losing (Or Gaining) My Religion
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 30 Aug 2012, 4:06 PM
  2. Gaining CEQA/NEPA experience
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Jun 2011, 10:06 AM