Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Governator Wins Budget Battle

Registered
    Jun 2007

Governator Wins Budget Battle

http://cbs13.com/local/budget.deal.r....2.821060.html

Even with all the backlash and whatnot from his interim minimum wage plan and everything else, Gov. Schwarzenegger still won his budget battle with the California legislature. I don't know a whole lot about the particulars. What do all the California Cyburbians think of all this?

Registered
    May 2004
    I didn't vote for him when I was living in California because I thought 1) he was a republican, 2) he had absolutely no experience and 3) only talked in generalities.

But he has been an excellent governor as far as I'm concerned (granted I no longer live in Cali). Of all the Californians I know I have heard almost unanimous support for him

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I am glad he stood his ground. The first budget that was passed by the dysfunctional legislature was a sham and just a phony tax increase in disguise. I mean, common, accelerating my taxes on my check? That hurts, big time, espeically in this economy. I wish the stupid republicans in the legislature would have agreed on a sales tax increase that the Arnold promoted (1 cent increase), coupled with across the board cuts in state programs to balance the budget, but off course our demos didn't want that either. I am sorry, you can't have your pie and eat it to. How does a 1 cent increase in sales tax hurt someone? Really, i mean unless your buying a car or another big ticket item, than you should factor that in, but it doesn't effect gas or groceries, so again, how does a 1 cent increase hurt? Hell, i will provide pennies to people if it hurts that much!

We wouldn't be in this mess if we just fixed the sacred cow of prop 13, but of course we never will, so i guess you will read about the budget again this same time next year. I will now leave my soap box.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Like almost all problems in California, these constant budget battles are a product of the ridiculous California proposition system and the quasi-direct democracy model that it has created.

For those who don't know, the disastrous prop 13 from the 70's has basically put the finances of the state under minority rule. Along with the massive inequities and subsidies that prop 13 supports and provides, prop 13 also requires a super-majority for almost anything finance related (any tax increases - whether by the state, counties, or cities, as well as the budget itself). This means that for the last at least 20 years, the minority party (Republicans) have been able to hold the budget hostage each year with under 40% of the legislature. On top of that, it means that all of the governor's big plans for the state (when he came into office) have been impossible to put into place because all required new funding of some type - and the propositions that he put on the ballot (because he couldn't get a super-majority in the legislature) all fell to defeat years ago.

We either need to go back to an actual representative system (with 50% + 1 majorities making the decisions), or go all out with a direct system. In my opinion, the representatives who decide on spending should also be deciding on taxation - and if the results are not liked, the voters will replace them.

For the coming ballot, I'm going to be voting on more than 40 propositions overall (between City/County and State). Propositions, especially when there are that many, are too open to manipulation and distortion in the media (on both sides - left and right).
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I didn't vote for him when I was living in California because I thought 1) he was a republican, 2) he had absolutely no experience and 3) only talked in generalities.

But he has been an excellent governor as far as I'm concerned (granted I no longer live in Cali). Of all the Californians I know I have heard almost unanimous support for him
    Isn't that the same thing about Obama? 1) He's a Democrat 2) he has no executive experience 3) he only speaks in generalities

Just making a correlation.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    Isn't that the same thing about Obama? 1) He's a Democrat 2) he has no executive experience 3) he only speaks in generalities

Just making a correlation.
    I think there are alot of similarities between the two.

Like I said- I was opposed to Arnold during the first (recall Gray Davis) election but now if he could run for president I would probably vote for him.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I think there are alot of similarities between the two.

Like I said- I was opposed to Arnold during the first (recall Gray Davis) election but now if he could run for president I would probably vote for him.
    I'm curious as to what "good" you think he has done. He hasn't been bad, but he hasn't really accomplished anything. He can't get any of his fellow Republicans to go along with him on anything, and the Democrats don't have a large enough majority to do anything with him alone. I don't think that anything he has done has shown him to be a good candidate for president.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    I'm curious as to what "good" you think he has done. He hasn't been bad, but he hasn't really accomplished anything. He can't get any of his fellow Republicans to go along with him on anything, and the Democrats don't have a large enough majority to do anything with him alone. I don't think that anything he has done has shown him to be a good candidate for president.
    Admittedly I dont know as much as I should considering the statement I made, but no longer living in California my news is somewhat limited. Seems to me he has hel a very moderate position while governor and worked very well with both parties. He supports and has pushed through some significant environmental regulations against the will or his party, and from what I understand he has been a true fiscal conservative.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Admittedly I dont know as much as I should considering the statement I made, but no longer living in California my news is somewhat limited. Seems to me he has hel a very moderate position while governor and worked very well with both parties.
    He can't get anyone within his own party to ever agree on anything. He has moved towards the Democrats on many issues because it's the only way he can get anything done. From everything that you hear on TV or read in the media, his own party doesn't even consider him a Republican anymore - several have called him the Bloomberg of the West.

He supports and has pushed through some significant environmental regulations against the will or his party, and from what I understand he has been a true fiscal conservative.
    He has pushed through things against the will of his own party, but that party represents less than 40% of the legislature, and the bills that he "pushed" through enjoyed more than 60% approval in the legislature, as well as polling at better than 70% approval amongst voters.

I guess that he has been a relative fiscal conservative, though he tried his darnedest not to be in 2004 when he first came in. He placed four propositions on the ballot that were decried by basically all Republicans and a good portion of Democrats as too costly and unnecessary - they all were defeated handily. I can't think of any major spending bond that he has come out against. He supports the high speed rail bond on this November's ballot, as well as an infrastructure bond (shoring up the Delta and the aqueducts). I think more than anything his hands have simply been tied.

As I said before, I don't think he's been bad, but IMO he has NOT helped bring the parties together, but simply moved to the side of the Democrats on most issues. The fact that he couldn't convince just a couple of the members from his own party to compromise on the budget for more than three months says enough to me.

That being said, I would think long and hard about supporting a socially liberal, fiscal conservative. I'm still not convinced that he would end up that way on a national scale, but those qualities would make up my dream candidate.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 Aug 2012, 10:50 AM
  2. Kerry Wins, Yankees Lose!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Oct 2004, 8:54 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Aug 2004, 5:21 PM
  4. California has a new governator
    Friday Afternoon Club