Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MPO's and growth management?

Registered
    Jan 2008

MPO's and growth management?

Can anyone direct me to MPO's that are doing or have done interesting work related to growth management? In particular, I'm interested to know if any MPO's currently tie their Surface Transportation Programs to local land use plans? Also, have there been any studies taken on by MPO's that utilize varying growth scenarios and each scenario's costs/benefits?

Thanks.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    The BCD Region of South Carolina is voluntarily compiling a regional plan that will discuss many issues from transportation to land use. You can get much information here; www.ourregionourplan.org

A scenario builder with CommunityViz will be part of the initial study of the gathered materials. We will focus on a business as usual scenario, low impact, and other strategies and weigh them against each other.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by LongrangePlanner View post
    Can anyone direct me to MPO's that are doing or have done interesting work related to growth management? In particular, I'm interested to know if any MPO's currently tie their Surface Transportation Programs to local land use plans? Also, have there been any studies taken on by MPO's that utilize varying growth scenarios and each scenario's costs/benefits?

Thanks.
    Puget Sound Regional Council is doing all the things you look for.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    When I was there, the Cape Cod MPO tried to tie in its Regional Transportation Plan with the Regional Policy Plan, which was all about growth management. It was hard, to say the least. I came to the conclusion that the MPO process is probably not the best mechanism to promote growth management. It can respond to a consensus about the issue, but can't take the lead.

Hey, but maybe its different in different states...

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan Staley View post
    Puget Sound Regional Council is doing all the things you look for.
    Sacramento Blueprint is a report of scenario outcomes.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I just started with an MPO. The SAFETEA LU regs say we should. Our RTP, being developed out-of-house, we required to limit the 30 year plan to stay within the state's and county's Growth Zone as much as possible. Right now it'll fly 'cause the developers are off sweating somewhere. We'll see in a few (several?) years.
    "There are people in every time and every land who want to stop history in its tracks. They fear the future, mistrust the present and invoke the security of a comfortable past which, in fact, never existed." RFK

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 Apr 2006, 8:29 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Jun 2005, 7:28 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Sep 2002, 10:24 PM
  4. Commercial growth management
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Aug 2001, 7:01 PM